Your FS maintenance costs.

KernowCB
KernowCB Posts: 174
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm interested to know how much the average all weather rider spends on maintaining their full susser.

I know this depends on the different linkeage systems etc but it'd be good to know how much and how often money is spent to keep the bikes running smoothly!

When I had my stumpy fsr I gave it one full service in 18 months and it cost me nearly £400...so I sold it. :D
Whyte 905

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What did they change for 400 quid?

Bearings don't cost a lot and a shock service is less than 100.

Other stuff is the same as an ht
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DIY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    60 quid full mot or 35 for breaks gears wheel true
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you only count cost directly related to the bike being full sus, so excluding anything I wouldn't have spent on a hardtail then nothing. I've had my enduro over two and a half years and have replaced almost every part on it but I haven't touched the shock or any frame bearings.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Instead for service I spent the money for a set of tools to match your bike. Then I go to youtube/parktools etc. and keep bugging people on forums like this one. If I am really stuck then LBS.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What cooldad said. My Heckler seems to cost me about £10 every couple of years for bearings, and that's if it's feeling really needy. That's the only rear-suspension related cost.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    How do you spend £400 on a shock and a handfull of bearings. Full service on a shock is around £80 and your LBS will renew all the bearings for about another £80. Or do it yourself for around £60 of parts, no special tools needed unless you have a real rare bike.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've had my Pitch almost 4 years, aside from drivetrain and brake pads, which are regular consumables, it's on it's 3rd set of frame bearings and had the shock serviced/repaired once. So less than £200 on FS maintenance, about £50 per year then.

I have thought about swapping the frame to a C456 but think id regret it on some of the terrain round here...

Edit; that's DIY prices too.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    KernowCB wrote:
    I'm interested to know how much the average all weather rider spends on maintaining their full susser.
    In what respect? The suspension on the bike has cost me nothing, but I did decide to send the shock and fork away for a service and a tune this year after three years of use. so, shock and fork = £200 roughly.
    Shock = £100.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have found in the last 4 years of ridng a FS the only extra cost has been 2 sets of bearings a couple of shock bushes and a shock service when the shock lost its damping due to a blown O Ring. Probably £200 tops and thats being generous, in fact I have found I go through rear pads a lot slower than I used to on my HT. Used to change both sets every time now I go through fronts at the same rate as I ever did about every 4 months but get double the wear on the rears now. Dont know if I have unconcsiuosly stopped using the rear so much or whether I just dont need to use the back so often. In the 4 years I have had 2 different bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • in 3 years, 1 set of bearings - £50, 3 sets of shock bushings - £36, and a shock service - £85. total £171. Divide that by 3 you get £57. not too bad really.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    2008 Cannondale Rize

Main pivot bolt £18
    Bearing kit £21
    Shock link £35
    Shock bushings & shock service £80

All of this within 18 months from new has been fine ever since. Makes an interesting DIY job all the original pivots and bearings were virtually lube-free :(
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The odd shock bush and bearing, cost = not much.

Most maintenance costs are stuff that would affect an HT.