Disc brakes under £200

biker1984
biker1984 Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks...

I've had to send back my Avid Elixir 5's after about 3/4 months of use... The seals have corroded inside, for some reason fluid wont pass in to the lever, and the constant howling and squealing, so i sent them back for inspection, and hopefully a refund... Not happy with them at all!!!

Anyway, enough with the moaning... I'm looking to replace my avids, i have a budget of £200... Really dont want to be spending more to be honest... I have read some good reviews of the Shimano XT M785's.. And ive seen a set or around 180, which doesnt seem too bad...

Is anyone currently running these on their bikes, are they any good? How do they compare to the Elixir's in terms of stopping power etc?

I would love to buy some Hopes, but these are a bit over budget...

Are they any other breaks people would recommend within my budget?

Thanks guys..

:D

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    They're fantastic. Best brakes I've had on my bike and seem to get great reviews from most people. I think most would recommend them over the Hopes you mentioned. Get them from Rosebikes for around £140 a set including delivery. You'll need to swap the levers round as they come euro style - easy enough though.
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Exactly, what North said. Get some XT's from Rose and either save yourself £60 or buy some Ice Tech rotors aswell, and still come in under budget :)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Agree with both the above.

If you click on "like" Rose bikes you may be able to get an extra 10% off, just not sure if the offer still applies, you'll have to check.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Agree with both the above.

If you click on "like" Rose bikes you may be able to get an extra 10% off, just not sure if the offer still applies, you'll have to check.

Have a look at their facebook page too, I got 10 euro of my last purchase through it.