Hello, New member and looking for advice.

TrackCommie
TrackCommie Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in Track
Hello guys and gals,

As you can tell I'm new around these parts and I'd like to get some advice on getting a new bike.

I'm looking to get a solid, cheap track bike for commuting but mainly something that will serve as a training aid with the intention of hitting a velodrome some day. I've not ridden for a year or so now so I'm pretty rusty, but before that I was doing a 6mile daily commute on a bmx. I've also ridden an old hand me down GT mtb for the commute but I'm just not that interested in it. I'm sure it's fun off road but I don't do much off-road riding.

I enjoy the grind of riding a singlespeed bmx but it's not exactly designed for a commute and the lack of proper seating is a chore (I'm 25 now not 12 unfortunately), I'm thinking a track bike would be a perfect medium. Why not geared? Well I've simply had enough of slipping chains and changing gears by mistake, I want to just jump on and ride hard and have fun!

So I've got to the point of looking at a Dolan Pre Cursa, The myriad of options on the site has baffled me a bit though, I have NO idea what crankset option, chainring size, stem size, handlebar size or even what wheel option to get.

I'm 5,7" with a 30" inseam which I've been advised to get a 52cm frame, apart from that I havent a clue what to get so really, any help appreciated guys.

All the best,

TrackCommie

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Bike wise I would say you are looking at the right sort of thing, avoid getting dragged in to buying some of the single speed / 'fixies' that you see advertised on ebay and the like as they are generally not suitable for the track. A proper track bike will have a higher bottom bracket and probably different frame geometry.

Stem, handlebar and frame size will all depend on your dimensions and it's a case of trying bikes to get something comfortable. Wheel wise you will want a different set for the road and track (assuming you are riding on an indoor velodrome) as you won't want all those bits of stone etc. getting in your track tyres. You may want a single speed with a freewheel rather than fixed wheel on the road. Gearing is going to depend on the terrain where you ride and again you are likely to need something different for the road and track. Finally, on the road you will need two working brakes so either a fixed wheel and a front brake or front and rear brakes if riding a freewheel - these will have to be removed for the track.

All in all it is probably a lot of hassle to use one bike for both as you would end up swapping wheels, possibly chainrings and removing / re-fitting brakes every time you go from track to road.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Try both a 52 and 54

I am the same height as you, legs slightly shorter, but the 52cm frame I feel over the top on it. A 54cm is much better for me.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Dru wrote:
    Try both a 52 and 54

I am the same height as you, legs slightly shorter, but the 52cm frame I feel over the top on it. A 54cm is much better for me.
    Surprised at that, I am 5'10 with 33" legs and use 54cm. Would have though 52 would be perfect for you.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Dru wrote:
    Try both a 52 and 54

Surprised at that, I am 5'10 with 33" legs and use 54cm. Would have though 52 would be perfect for you.

I'm vey long in the body compared to my legs, that said, I might comprimise on a 52 if I was also going to use it for pursuiting