Ride With Brad

nicolafarr
nicolafarr Posts: 2
Hi :)
So today I registered for the 100km Ride With Brad event on the 18th of August.
I'm a 17 year old girl, and am reasonably fit. I've been road cycling for about a year, after I did the Coast to Coast last summer. I can do 40 mile rides fairly comfortably in about 3 hours, but have never ridden 100km in a day before, and struggle a little with hills. The time limit for the ride is 8 hours, do you guys think it's a realistic ambition to finish within that time? I'm really scared of being the slowest person there or not being able to finish and being completely humiliated.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's only another 20 miles on top of your normal distance. Shouldn't think you'll struggle at all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Yeah you'll be alright making the step up in distance and if you can do 40 miles in 3 hours then you will be way under the 8 hour limit for 100 km and far from the slowest there!

One suggestion i'd make is dont get caught up in the excitement at the start and go off too fast trying to keep up with riders that are maybe going at a pace you may struggle to sustain. One day i may even follow this advice myself :D
  • You should be fine :D

Another question on this day - I've also signed up for the 100km, but am going to do my best over the next few weeks to get into good enough shape to do the 160km. Seeing as entry fee is the same for both do you think anyone will mind if I decide to do the longer route on the day if I'm feeling up to it?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You'll be riding it alone though - it's on the 19th. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You will be well within the 8 hours, it should be quite a big event and the occasion will get you round.
    You sound pretty competent at cycling so you won't be the last. Anyway, does it matter if you are last? Im sure Bradley Wiggins will not turn his nose up at anyone who attempts the ride.

But it is a tough ride, I did a similar route in a sportive last weekend and the hills are tough, so try and build up your strength over hills over the next few weeks.

Just enjoy the day, and like has already been said, take it easy from the start.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    nicolafarr wrote:
    I'm a 17 year old girl, and am reasonably fit.

I wouldn't post that on a forum full of middle-aged men!! :shock:
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    I rode the 100km route last Friday and it's a fantastic ride. I have never been a climber so I was worried I might be pushing quite a bit but I managed to cycle up all the 6312 feet of climbing. There is nothing to worry about until you reach Waddington where the climbing starts. This is the longest continous climb at a steady gradient except for a few sections. The rest of the climbs are short but steepish. The Pendle Hill climb is another longish steady climb. The last 20 miles are the toughest so dont burn yourself out early on. To give you some idea of the various climbs, I have posted a link below to my Garmin details.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/206319103

Just one word of warning, some of the road surfaces aren't very good with plenty of potholes, mud and gravel. There are also some sharp corners on the descents so be careful. There were also some mad tractor drivers who were also going far too fast down some of the single track lanes but dont let that put you off as it's a fantastic route and fingers crossed you'll get some decent weather for the event.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    rodgers73 wrote:
    nicolafarr wrote:
    I'm a 17 year old girl, and am reasonably fit.

I wouldn't post that on a forum full of middle-aged men!! :shock:
    Does that make her a YWIL?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Young Woman I'd Love....?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Young Woman I'd Love....?

Young Woman In Lycra.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    I'm signed up for this. Anybody travelling from the SE (N London, Herts, Beds, Bucks area)? Am planning to go up on Saturday and stay somewhere overnight (need to sort that out) then drive back after the event on Sunday. Would be good to car share.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Has anyone got there info pack on this yet?.
  • kayo74 wrote:
    Has anyone got there info pack on this yet?.

No I was wondering that this morning oddly enough.
  • dwanes
    There is a Rider pack now available on the Ride with Brad website (click on the link on the 100k or 160k info page)

Which ride are you all going for? 100k or 160k?

I'm for the 100k.
  • dwanes wrote:
    There is a Rider pack now available on the Ride with Brad website (click on the link on the 100k or 160k info page)

Which ride are you all going for? 100k or 160k?

I'm for the 100k.

I'm doing the 160, no you normally get a pack with number and details about start times etc. I cant see how they can give a timing chip to everyone on the day and have it match your name - it'll take ages.
  • kayo74
    I agree Cleat, surely we can't be getting sorted on the day it will be madness!!!.
  • dwanes
    According to the rider info you can go to the venue on Saturday to register, so that may clear many registrations from local entrants, and ease the burden on Sunday.
    I am sure the organisers are fairly experienced at this, and will be expecting maximum numbers, so may not be too hectic.
  • dwanes wrote:

Well seems you're right and I was wrong. Just got an email saying that download IS the rider pack. Looks like a 4am start for me then. :(
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Doing the 160Km route - Signed up just about the time Wiggo stood on the TdF podium in a fit of excitement, now turning into a fit of dread, as I've never done owt that far before, although I did manage an 85 miler last friday which wasn't too bad (with a couple of rest stops!).
    I'll be up in the middle of the night as well, even though I'm not that far away (Kendal) - want to be registered and away as near to 7am as possible, as I think I may take quite a while to get round - I don't think I'll be in the running for the 'King of the Mountains' competition.

Good luck to all who are taking part, see you Sunday.
  • I'm goign to be nipping up on saturday and registering then - should be great fun though.....though 20 squid for a photo with the great man!!!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Not a bad idea Cleat - if I'm at a loose end on Saturday I'll bob down and do the same, give me another half hour or so in bed on the sunday morning.

Yeah, £20 for a photo - I presume it's with a pro photographer and everything, rather than you having to give your camera to someone else and ask them if they wouldn't mind taking it! Still, all the money goes directly to the BW Foundation, so at least it's not outrageous profiteering.
  • kayo74
    Worth the 20 quid all for a good cause and a top fella!!!!
  • Looking forward to the ride Sunday I'm doing the 160k
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Just found out I've won free entry to this :shock: 8)

Need to decide on which route now :!: Did 78miles/4600ft last Sunday, and felt used but ok, so very tempted with the 160 km. Off to have a think..............
  • just registered. Was told he wont be doing personal photos - instead you can buy a signed photo for a quid. :cry:

Easy access through teh back of the 'rolls royce' car park too.
  • kayo74
    Cleat is the number for the front of our jersey to be pinned on?. I read it said 1 for the bars and 1 to be put on front of jersey.
    Regards
  • the small plastic one is for the front of the bike. The one with all of your details on is pinned to your jersey. good luck :D
  • kayo74
    Cheers Cleat good luck to you as well :lol:
  • kayo74
    Had a super day and brilliant route and got to see the legend himself well worth 40 quid.... :D