Advice and opinion for derailer problem.

MirzaCA1
MirzaCA1 Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Right its mostly sorted out now, whats everyone's recommendations for a 9 speed rear mech for freeride/DH? I use to run a sram x7 but lets just say its seen better days. Here is a link to a pic of it - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8319732/

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cage length covered here viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12546123
    mech will need to be same make and speed.
    compatability covered here
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12704831
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks still not certain about it all though
  • nicklouse
    ok you do not mention the front set up? three rings? then long cage. and sram 9spd.

front mech take your pick any shimano or Sram one that will fit your frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ahh well its just one ring on the front and its 36t, the rear ranges from 12 - 26t.
  • nicklouse
    so you did not mean
    cable connecting to the front shifter has snapped.
    you ment the rear shifter.

well again any Sram rear mech. you can use a short if you wish.
  • Well the cable has snapped but i thought that could just be replaced but i guess not. Alright thanks, more in the right direction now.
  • nicklouse
    MirzaCA1 wrote:
    Well the cable has snapped but i thought that could just be replaced but i guess not. Alright thanks, more in the right direction now.
    yes just fit one.

your first post only had two questions. cage length and what mech to use with a front shifter! on one of them was not even correct.

so reamech any sram. including a short cage one. (no 10spd versions) cable just replace it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The cable can be replaced very easily, but you said you’d wrecked your mech?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MirzaCA1
    MirzaCA1 Posts: 6
    edited August 2012
    The rear trigger shifter is fine apart from the cable but the rear mech needs replaced. where would i find a cable?
  • deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or a LBS.
  • nicklouse
    MirzaCA1 wrote:
    The front trigger shifter is fine apart from the cable but the rear mech needs replaced. where would i find a cable?
    again you mean rear Trigger Shifter as you dont have a front mech.

get this right as some brands of gear cable come with a shorter cable for the front shifter than comes for the rear shifter.