Best national anthem

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
Regardless of how patriotic I am / am not, GSTQ is a dirge. What's your favourite?

I like the Stars and Stripes but I think the Israelis have the loveliest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Irhn2yhTg

Sounds like a wedding song from the Deer Hunter. If the protaginists were Israelis instead of Russians

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I always enjoy the Italian and French at rugby matches but obviously the Welsh is the best ;)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Italian.

You're not wrong about GSTQ. I've long been of the opinion that Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory should be our national anthem, something uplifting and full of passion. Not like that dirge we currently trot out.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    When the Grenada anthem started last night I thought it was going to be the Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back. I was gutted when it wasn't, but that's my fave now.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    The Italian anthem is a little ridiculous.

What's with the weird bit in the middle?

Or the werid start at the beginning which bears little relation to the actual main bit.

The French anthem is a proper marchy war cry - (which is what it was originally) - useful for sport.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    NapoleonD wrote:
    When the Grenada anthem started last night I thought it was going to be the Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back. I was gutted when it wasn't, but that's my fave now.

LOL - i thought exactly the same thing. The first few notes were exactly like that! :lol:
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164

What's with the weird bit in the middle?

That's the best bit!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Deutschland by far. Still didn't help them in 2 world wars, mind.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Italian is pretty good. German as much as I hate to say it is good. And the Brazilian is also good.

So used to hearing these after F1 races!
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I like the Italian.. as above I hear it a lot watching the F1
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    I quite like the Australian one, "Advance Australia Fair".

GSTQ has been a bloody shambles during the Olympics, the fecking thing just STARTS, and people in the crowd spend half a bar trying to catch up. It's embarrassing. You'd have thought that after the first couple of renditions of this, that someone, (like a musical director who's probably being paid as a consultant), would have sorted it out, but alas no.

The older I get, the better I was.

• El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Capt Slog wrote:
    GSTQ has been a bloody shambles during the Olympics, the fecking thing just STARTS, and people in the crowd spend half a bar trying to catch up. It's embarrassing. You'd have thought that after the first couple of renditions of this, that someone, (like a musical director who's probably being paid as a consultant), would have sorted it out, but alas no.

Could be worse. Could be Lesley Garrett singing it. Her rendition at the end of the Tour made me whince like I'd had a fresh kick to the misters.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    El Zomba wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Could be worse. Could be Lesley Garrett singing it. Her rendition at the end of the Tour made me whince like I'd had a fresh kick to the misters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... adley-Wigg

Yup, dreadful.

The older I get, the better I was.

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I'm with Billy Connoly on this subject. We should change to the Archers Theme
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Kazakhstan wins hands down.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285

Well fairly manic; essentially a handful schitzophenic of tunes butted together.

Got to love the audacity of the Germans.
  • there was a bit on tele the other day about national anthem lyrics - these are from the cheery columbians

In agony, the Virgin
    Tears out her hair,
    and bereft of her love,
    leaves it to hang on a cypress.
    Regretting her hope
    is covered by a cold headstone,
    but glorious pride
    hallows her fair skin.

I reckon our national anthem should be this

:D:D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    For those bemoaning the dirge like GSTQ, be thankful.

As a New Zealand born Brit (Moved back here when I was 14) you've never had to sing 'God Defend New Zealand', it is the dirge to end all dirges

Listen and give thanks that you're not on the podium or rugby field singing along to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFxr6PCrohg
  • I thought the new zealand anthem would have been this
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    My favourite bit about the new Zealand anthem is when they all start chanting and dancing and make silly faces....ooh kumaate....
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915

Ooohhh You tease!!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    thecrofter wrote:
    I'm with Billy Connoly on this subject. We should change to the Archers Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Come'on .. if we're talking about epic anthems there is only one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • True, that is a good one. There's something just so powerful about male singing like that.

I've never understood why Britain doesn't use Rule Britannia (not in a wiff waffy way of singing it). It could be so inspiring hearing a crowd singing that, belting it out.

I've always like the Italian one.
    Flower of Scotland is pretty good at their rugby matches
  • finchy
    WheelieBad wrote:
    I've never understood why Britain doesn't use Rule Britannia (not in a wiff waffy way of singing it).

We'd just turn ourselves into a laughing stock - "Britannia rules the waves" - unless the enemy has an aircraft carrier. With aeroplanes on it.

You might as well have the Swedes singing about their mighty Viking warriors.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    North Korean national anthem .. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp6cB7BGj48
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • johnfinch wrote:
    WheelieBad wrote:
    I've never understood why Britain doesn't use Rule Britannia (not in a wiff waffy way of singing it).

We'd just turn ourselves into a laughing stock - "Britannia rules the waves" - unless the enemy has an aircraft carrier. With aeroplanes on it.

And your current one isn't? :lol:

Anyway, it's "Britannia rule the waves" which brings a different air to it as it's a command to go forward and win, rather than "na na na na na, we rule waves, we are brilliant"
  • finchy
    WheelieBad wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    WheelieBad wrote:

And your current one isn't? :lol:

Anyway, it's "Britannia rule the waves" which brings a different air to it as it's a command to go forward and win, rather than "na na na na na, we rule waves, we are brilliant"

You learn something new every day.
  • I was quite taken by the Kenyan anthem the other day.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    NapoleonD wrote:

i had to go and listen..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBu2tPjNN3M

it sounds like its play by the Grenada Kazoo Band :)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2