Voodoo Hoodoo on a diet

ben11
ben11 Posts: 103
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Been keeping track of my weight saving upgrades with my camera as i'm too lazy to write them down, so I figured I'd post them up as some of the OEM weights may be helpful for other Voodoo owners!

First off, pedals! Wellgo MG-1

pedals.jpg

Spoon Saddle and Planet X seatpost

saddle.jpg
seatpost.jpg

And a birthday present from my lovely Girlfriend!

front%20wheel.jpg
rear%20wheel.jpg

2012-08-05%2016.18.45.jpg

Total saving so far = about 1kg

Next up.. tyres!

Comments

• Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    How many £'s for 1KG? :shock:
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    Why so shocked, if he wants to spend his money making his bike lighter that's up to him. It's not like he's replaced parts with exotica.

Good work my friend, you'll probably only notice the difference in the wheels but every little helps.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • ben11
    Bred2shred wrote:
    Why so shocked, if he wants to spend his money making his bike lighter that's up to him. It's not like he's replaced parts with exotica.

Good work my friend, you'll probably only notice the difference in the wheels but every little helps.

Cheers ;) I'm only buying parts that i feel could be can transfered to my next bike anyway :)
  • deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Plyphon wrote:

Depending on what the standard weight is, 1 kg will be at least 5% of the standard weight, so will make a reasonable difference. It will certainly make the bike feel more "spritely" if you know what I mean!
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Nice kitchen ;-) you could probably save a few grams with thinner door handles :-)

On the bike, have you got a before and after weight?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • ben11
    waby1234 wrote:
    Nice kitchen ;-) you could probably save a few grams with thinner door handles :-)

On the bike, have you got a before and after weight?

:lol:

I've not been able to weigh the entire bike very accurately but it was roughly 14.2kg as standard so it should be around 13.2kg now. When i have my new tires fitted I'll weigh it again. I have a plan in mind to weigh it properly :wink:
  • ben11
    New tyres fitted :) got delivered less than 5 working days from discount-bike.de much to my surprise! the bike now weighs in at 12.8/9ish kg (according to my cheapy ebay scales), sub 13 was my target so I'm happy with that. Just been out for a quick spin on it and feels great, really pleased with the result.
    Quick pic will get a better one when i next hit the trails

2012-08-07%2019.55.19.jpg

Here's the bad news, first thing to go wrong with it :x

2012-08-07%2019.55.53.jpg

Great..... a bit of plastic which is most likely impossible to replace :(

*edit* not impossible but £20 and nowhere has it in stock :/
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Halfords can get them from there cycle supply team
  • ben11 wrote:
    New tyres fitted :) got delivered less than 5 working days from discount-bike.de much to my surprise! the bike now weighs in at 12.8/9ish kg (according to my cheapy ebay scales), sub 13 was my target so I'm happy with that. Just been out for a quick spin on it and feels great, really pleased with the result.
    Quick pic will get a better one when i next hit the trails

2012-08-07%2019.55.19.jpg

Here's the bad news, first thing to go wrong with it :x

2012-08-07%2019.55.53.jpg

Great..... a bit of plastic which is most likely impossible to replace :(

*edit* not impossible but £20 and nowhere has it in stock :/

Nice bike! Did you notice it was easier to accelerate?
    Also a note about those remote lockout things, had one on my rebas, and the idea was amazing but it was forever getting clogged with mud and never worked because it was getting caught, in the end I took it off.
    some times its best to keeps things basic, my new bike just has the basic lockout switch
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Plyphon wrote:

To be fair as well some of those changes would have offered other improvements i.e. gripper pedals, more comfortable saddle plus on top there was a weight saving too.

ben11: Thanks for all the pics - I've got a hoodoo too and have wondered about certain weights of items but not got a digital scale to weight them.

What tyres did you fit? Continental Mountain Kings?

I've got the same problem with remote lockout, tried fixing it but it ended up leaving lockout on permanently until I took the cap off again. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a basic switch for it instead?

How do you get your bike so clean to take it indoors? :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking nice, wheelset is a bit 'special' for the bike but look great!

Take off the remote and add a lever on the top, save about 250g!

My Kraken is just on 11.5Kg as a target for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Looking nice, wheelset is a bit 'special' for the bike but look great!

Christ, when did discounted Superstar wheels become 'special'?!
    Take off the remote and add a lever on the top, save about 250g!

And the rest, a Pop/PushLoc adds about 60g including the cable!
  • ben11
    I went back to Halfords and they ordered me a replacement cap on warranty before i went on holiday 2 weeks ago, great, but the idiots have lost it!!!! :roll: so they said they would order another one, which they didn't order whilst i was in the store this time so i have a feeling ill be disappointed again!

richardjiles - Thanks, Yes is feels much quicker off the mark just generally a bit more nippy, not had chance to hit the trails yet will be tonight though :)

anj132 - Yes they are mountain kings 2.2 racesport, one weighed 500 and the other 580! but whatever...
    As for it being clean i just give it a quick wipe down after trails but i do have to hoover the hallway a lot (where i keep it)!!

Just to clear up this whole "How many £'s for 1KG?" My missus bought the wheels for my birthday and the other parts were cheap so it's not really a big deal, plus i am only buying parts that i feel i could transfer to my next bike anyway.

I got a superstar 65mm stem for my birthday too which is now fitted, surprisingly it weighs 8 grams more than the oem stem which was only 130g! but I'm not bothered it was more of a comfort upgrade anyway.

So that's pretty much it the bikes finished! will get a proper pic of it tonight :)
  • ben11
    Finally been able to go for a proper ride last night!
    Figured i'd share my thoughts on the new bits;
    Conti mountain king 2.2 racesport and superstar crest wheel set - The tyres were really impressive, better grip in sand, boggy mud and over tree roots, compared to the oem Ardents its faster, more grippy and about 200 grams lighter (per tyre). paired with the lighter wheels it feels a lot faster and agile. like most people say its one of the most noticeable upgrades you can do
    The stem was really worth it too, less back fatigue and better control, my arms don't lock out now either so much more comfortable.
    As for the other bits not much to say, lighter and better, little difference but it all adds up.
    overall pleased with the result :)

2012-08-28%2018.36.21.jpg

2012-08-28%2018.37.49.jpg

One of the many re-surfaced sections at Sherwood pines for those who haven't been recently

2012-08-28%2019.11.56.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    looking very nice, my opinion, if your bike's your pride and joy, then there's nothing thats too "special" or too good for it :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jimtorch
    jimtorch Posts: 40
    Whats Sherwood Pines like now, i live near Loughborough but always head to Cannock if i'm after a local trail centre ride, how would you compare it to the runs at Sherwood Pines?

I'd be gutted if i got to SP and went "mmeh, not as good as Cannock"
    is it worth the trip?

Some people have said its not as hardcore as Cannock, those berms in the background of your photo look fast and fun though

By the way, if you haven't ridden the Monkey Trail then get yo ass down there, tis awesome! :D
    bird, bird, bird, birds the word
  • ben11
    chez_m356 wrote:
    looking very nice, my opinion, if your bike's your pride and joy, then there's nothing thats too "special" or too good for it :wink:
    jimtorch wrote:
    Whats Sherwood Pines like now, i live near Loughborough but always head to Cannock if i'm after a local trail centre ride, how would you compare it to the runs at Sherwood Pines?

I'd be gutted if i got to SP and went "mmeh, not as good as Cannock"
    is it worth the trip?

Some people have said its not as hardcore as Cannock, those berms in the background of your photo look fast and fun though

By the way, if you haven't ridden the Monkey Trail then get yo ass down there, tis awesome! :D

I haven't been to Cannock yet but that will change very soon!!

Pines is Ok, the bit pictured is really fun, but there are a lot of flats. They seem to be maintaining the trails reasonably at the moment which is cool. I'd say it's worth a go as its always fun to try somewhere new.
  • ben11
    Had a bit of birthday money so spend so i decided to treat myself to a couple of bits from superstar.
    The oem tektro disc rotors had warped so i got the superstar flame design and some grips, these were only about 15g lighter combined. Also got the lightweight QRs' so have nearly made 100g saving

QR.jpg

I also removed the broken remote lock out which was about 40-55g (difficult to get on scales)

2012-08-31%2013.50.16.jpg

total weight now: 12.69kg

Might look at handlebars at some point, maybe xmas time but am really happy with the way it rides for now :)
  • Did you just cover the lockout on the forks over or could you change it so it's a twist cap?
    Just curious as I'm going to be getting the Hoodoo, bike looks really nice by the way. :)
  • ben11
    Did you just cover the lockout on the forks over or could you change it so it's a twist cap?
    Just curious as I'm going to be getting the Hoodoo, bike looks really nice by the way. :)

Cheers, no, i just removed the cable etc and screwed the original cover back in. Doesn't look too bad.
  • Okay, cheers.
  • Interesting to read about the wheels, been wandering about changing the wheels on mine. Where do you go riding around Grantham?
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • ben11
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Interesting to read about the wheels, been wandering about changing the wheels on mine. Where do you go riding around Grantham?
    Sherwood pines mostly and cannock chase sometimes
  • Nothing more local? There's some decent routes around the vale of belvoir!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • ben11
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Nothing more local? There's some decent routes around the vale of belvoir!

Yeah i've been there once, have been meaning to check it out some more :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice bike I really like the colour, all the Voodoo range are lookers in my opinion. Not much left to upgrade now apart from the forks better get saving :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Viking challenge is this Sunday!

voodoo hoodoo
  • ben11
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    The Viking challenge is this Sunday!
    I heard about that, is there anywhere online with some more info on it?
  • You get more info from their Facebook page, we're starting about half 8 but barely been on my bike in 3 months so there won't be any records set!

voodoo hoodoo