CRC - MTB Marathon Abergavenny

mini-eggs
mini-eggs Posts: 811
edited August 2012 in XC and Enduro
Anybody going to the CRC marathon this weekend in Abergavenny??

Weather is looking particularly bad for tomorrow :x heavy rain and thunder.
Follow me on....Google+
Shop here....eBay Shop

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    I've just entered, might turn around and go home if the weather's particularly bad.

Hopefully the route will be fully signposted this time :?
  • mini-eggs
    Given the weather I'm glad I'm only doing the 30k marathon.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • mini-eggs
    Did you go and do it??

Weather wasn't too bad, dry and sunny at times with a little shower. Was a bit disappointed with the course, there was a lot of road cycling, the actual mountain biking element wasn't that much and wasn't great. Deep ruts across a mountain top, into a very steep descent where many pushed down, then into slippery muddy descent. then ride along a river and up a steep slippery muddy track back on to the road.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • I thought the course was pretty good TBH, can't remember deep ruts :?
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    In that case i'm glad i didn't go. Was debating whether to enter until the Friday night then saw the poor forecast and thought be better to do my local trails.
    Why have a poor quality course with heavy elements of road riding when they bring the CRC series to Abergavenny?
    Were the ruts really that bad? Were the hills not rideable due to being too muddy in combination with being pretty steep so no traction?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mini-eggs
    The ruts were rideable, just a matter of picking a line that works for you. The descents ..some did ride and managed to get down, many pushed, and lots tried but fell. I rode down some of it, but pushed bits. A woman coming up behind us had a real nasty fall, and being clipped in had the bike come down on top of her.

The best part for me as after the 2nd feed stop, not steep but a rocky slippery muddy track going alongside the river, just suited my bike and skills.

will I do it again.....hmm dont know, might do builth wells.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Well I had a great ride, did the 80km route, I was expecting the tracks to be in a right state after the recent weather and the forecast was horrible for the day, but i was surprised to find the tracks in super condition especially as i was running race kings front and rear (couldn't be fagged to swap them over beforehand) - just needed to manage the traction on some of the downs. Not sure where the other rider(s) found so called ruts - nothing out of the norm really (the organisers did announce it was technical in places). If you did the 30km route - no doubt big chunks of tarmac as these events always start and finish with tarmac, but the long route had fantastic singletrack - and lots of it with big climbs, bid downs, big ridge rides, and big views - typical of the mtb marathon events. Only about 10mins of light showers for me with a mix of sun and clouds - lucked out - but believe others experienced heavy localised downpours in places. top venue ... again next year please.
  • I agree with runningfix, the 80K was a good route, a couple of longish road sections but the off road was a good test esp with some tired legs, that decent just before the second feed really sorted out those who can ride ;-). I thought it was better than the builth circuit but i'd do both again.