Brecon Beacons/ Merthyr Tydfil

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited August 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Hey guys, i'm heading up to the Cardiff area tomorrow, and will be staying the day and night in Merthyr Tydfil. Does anyone know of any really good sights to see around the area, preferably out in the hills? Maybe some good driving roads?

Comments

• fibre
    fibre Posts: 20
    The Gurnos is always nice....... :P
  • Haha, glad I researched that beforehand. I'm alright on a family robbery stop.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Some great roads that way, Blaenavon industrial landscape is a worlds heritage site, its free top go to big pit too.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    an absolutely superb driving road is the a470 between merthyr and brecon...goes right through the hills and is awesome :D you could stop at the storey arms outward bounds centre and walk up pen-y-fan if you have 2 or 3 hours spare. (storey arms is on the a470, big building on the right and carpark on the left)

if you drive all the way to brecon and then head back towards abergavenny you could drive past talybont reservoir (signposted talybont reservoir off the abergavenny road), a bit further on there's a signpost saying 'waterfalls' park somewhere here and go and explore them :D

the road then goes past a few more reservoirs and comes back to merthyr
  • Sweet guys, those are some top tips! Wishing I could take my bike, but i'm riding single speed rigid in town, so need to buy forks first!

I'll check that a470 out, I saw it on google maps, and it looked good, just wasn't sure if the views were nice!
  • welshkev
    If the clouds aren't down the views are great and there's usually an ice cream van in one of the laybys :-)
  • Gazlar
    if you are single speed rigid you could always have a blast down the taff trail towards ponty, its downhill from merthyr then get the train back up. I highlt recommend Arriva trains wales as they employ, charming, witty and sexually attractive staff
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • The A470 was amazing. I ended up going through some road off on the side with tons of sheep everywhere, and I almost took a few out! Was a great trip out.

Gaz- Wish I had seen your message before hand, i'm organising another trip up there soon to ride!
  • welshkev
    The Taff trail goes up to Brecon as well so you could go either way :-) glad you enjoyed it
  • Gazlar
    The A470 was amazing. I ended up going through some road off on the side with tons of sheep everywhere, and I almost took a few out! Was a great trip out.

Gaz- Wish I had seen your message before hand, i'm organising another trip up there soon to ride!

Well if you do, remember there's loads of crudders in the area
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gazlar wrote:
    I highlt recommend Arriva trains wales as they employ, charmless, rapey and sexually ambiguous staff

FTFY 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gaz, cheers for the spot. When does the riding season normally end in those ways? I don't mind carpy weather,, i'm used to Austrian springs so riding in Feb/March. May try to make it up there for a day or 2 of riding before the end of fall season!
  • Gazlar
    MountainMonster, the bad weather normally starts on January the first, then runs until a tuesday in June, this is summer, before resuming bad weather the day after, its only the midsts of winter where its hit and miss as to the rideability.
    Clank wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I highly recommend Arriva trains wales as they employ, charmless, rapey and sexually ambiguous staff

Ahhh Mr Clank, looks like you got a job working with us then ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gazlar wrote:
    Clank wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I highly recommend Arriva trains wales as they employ, charmless, rapey and sexually ambiguous staff

Ahhh Mr Clank, looks like you got a job working with us then ;)

With 'murderous' and 'pox-ridden' to add, would I be over-qualified? :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.