Voodoo Bokor or Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2012

cjp666
cjp666 Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
I can't make up my mind so any recommendations will be appreciated :D

I have about £800 to spend and looking for a hardtail that I will use mainly on the road on local trails, sometimes the woods. Won't be doing any downhill

The bike is to replace my Apollo Paradox that is starting to fall apart

Any advice will be very helpful

Thanks in advance
Chris.

Comments

• spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    not that ive got any experiance but im hoping that the january sales show a nice reduction on the bokor, thats fast becoming my dream bike
    sight 3 se
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords sales are a crapshoot, you just have to go for it when you think the sales are right, january isn't usually that special, late summer is usually the best.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    a bit of a difference in bikes there, 140mm travel on the bokor compared to the 80/100mm on the spesh, of the 2, id say the bokor is the better value, but to be honest the Rockrider 8.1 has a much better spec than the spesh and its £300 cheaper http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cjp666
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look

Not really sure what to buy, the Bokor does look good but I'm just not sure what to buy
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Maybe a bit biased because I have one, but look at the Boardman Comp Hardtail, great bike and a lot lighter than the Bokor. Also the Boardman Team if you can stretch to £749.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My mate has a Bokor from 2010 the spec is good - Motion Control Recons, Mavic 717s, X7/X9, Race Face etc - but it's all attached to the most dull, lifeless and uninspiring frame imaginable.

It's light but the angles feel old-fashioned - stable and efficient in a pedally sort of way - but about as responsive and nimble as an oil tanker. Like an aluminium five-bar farm gate with two wheels attached to it
  • cjp666
    "Angles feel old-fashioned" - not sure they will to me as this will only be my second mountain bike since getting back in to it. As I will be coming from an Apollo Paradox I would imagine it will be a breath of fresh air :)

I am going to try and pop in to Halfords at the weekend and see if I can try one out, assuming Halfords do that sort of thing
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Usually you only get to sit on the bike in Halfords and if your lucky, and space allows, you might be able to cycle it around the shop floor.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • .blitz
    cjp666 wrote:
    "Angles feel old-fashioned" - not sure they will to me as this will only be my second mountain bike since getting back in to it.
    Maybe not at first but you will in time as your riding improves.
    cjp666 wrote:
    I am going to try and pop in to Halfords at the weekend and see if I can try one out, assuming Halfords do that sort of thing
    My mate was allowed to sit on a Bokor that was the wrong size so Halfords could get him one that was the 'right' size.

With all due respect Halfords thrive on ignorance I would not buy a bike from them. Buying a bike and living with it are two very different things.
  • chez_m356
    .blitz wrote:
    With all due respect Halfords thrive on ignorance I would not buy a bike from them. Buying a bike and living with it are two very different things.
    and all halfords are the same are they?
  • .blitz
    yes - the clue is in the name
  • chez_m356
    .blitz wrote:
    oh dear did you have a spat with them :lol:
  • cjp666
    .blitz wrote:

Sorry, I don't get that
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore him. Some Halfords branches, like most big chains, can be a bit hit and miss, but the bike is a bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pjd2209
    pjd2209 Posts: 17
    cooldad wrote:
    Ignore him. Some Halfords branches, like most big chains, can be a bit hit and miss, but the bike is a bargain.

Yeah, gotta say, the one in Bracknell is pretty good.

Nice guys, helpful and wont sell you crap you don't need (in my experience anyway)
  • .blitz
    You will have plenty of time to think about what a bargain is it when the forks go back to Fishers because they fail after two rides and the bolt-on drop outs make their own little 'home' in the frame so that gears are never quite right and the rear wheel isn't dished properly so it rubs against one of the chainstays even though Halfords have 'rebuilt it' twice.

But don't let me put you off
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    .blitz wrote:
    You will have plenty of time to think about what a bargain is it when the forks go back to Fishers because they fail after two rides and the bolt-on drop outs make their own little 'home' in the frame so that gears are never quite right and the rear wheel isn't dished properly so it rubs against one of the chainstays even though Halfords have 'rebuilt it' twice.

I could never take a cherub seriously anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    .blitz wrote:

i had a freehub fail on a DT Swiss wheel after a week, does that mean no one should buy there wheels because they must obviously be crap ????
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The Voodoo Bokor is a great bike for the price, Alsong as you like the feel of it you should be very happy with it.

And mine was very well built, Maybe a couple of bolts over tightened but I checked everything before riding which no matter where you buy from you should do anyway. Keep us updated on which you buy :)
  • Davsy
    Davsy Posts: 17
    If your still deciding, what about going up one level to the Voodoo Wanga - with the current £70 off and membership from bc/ctc giving an extra 10% off it's not far away from your £800 mark and is meant to be excellent for the money.

(British Cycling Membership £10 through Quidco)

Works out about £847 including BC membership...
  • has anyone ever riden a wanga? whats it like?
    sight 3 se
  • Davsy
    Davsy Posts: 17
    Haven't ridden one but the spec looks great. MBR gave it 9/10 a while back but said something along the lines of getting different tyres as the stock ones are more for downhill ridingand a bit slow for trails.
  • For under 8 ton, you could get a vitus blitz if you could be tempted by FS, or a zircon 2 if you really want a hardtail. My vitus has served me well the past year or so.