Is my crank ruined?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to change my crank to a higher grade one but the problem is that i have cross-threaded the bit where the crank extractor tool is supposed to go. (3pc crank with square taper)

Is there any way of removing the crank or bottom bracket or do i have to buy a new frame as well?
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cut a slot in the arm to relive the pressure caused by the taper and it will come off.

Go for a ride with the bolt out the pressure will cause the arm to finally come off.

Angle grinder through the axel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    So there is now easy way to get out of it. I can do any of them and ill have a go at the second one to start with.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or remove the bolt and smash it off with a hammer (easier if you use a bar as a drift), it's scrap anyway....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.