gear cables

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
my inner cable snapped today and so needs replacing. i have a specialized fsr xc pro which has fully sealed cablesfront to back. my question is this, im thinking of just buying a full kit for ease but are there any to look out for? or all much of a muchness? i have a combo of xt and slx gear set up on it/

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I've heard bad things about clarks outers losing their colour, so I'd stick with shimano. Pre-stretched inners are good to look out for too.

I was recommended this - http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Cables-Gea ... _3480.html seems like a brilliant price too.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I thought the goodridge would be decent but I put them on my enduro and after it's sat for a bit the gears are very stiff, going to change back to shimano when I can be bothered.

That set from the wooly hat proprietor is pre cut lenghts so no good for full length outers. This would be better:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69976

You might need some extra outer though.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If the outer is still intact, then pop into your local bike shop and pick up a new inner for a quid or two.
  • crispy1980
    outer isnt in too bad nick, but does have a couple of small areas that have been rubbed/caught whatever and expose the inner, so probs best to replace the lot?
  • oodboo
    As a bike tart I'd replace the lot. There may be damage inside that you can't see or they might just be a bit gritty. If you can afford the outers as well then I'd say it's worth it. Better to fix something once and do it properly than to have to go back and fix it again if the first fix doesn't do the job.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Has it exposed the actual inner though? There's a sleeve inside the wire casing.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    As a bike tart I'd replace the lot. There may be damage inside that you can't see or they might just be a bit gritty. If you can afford the outers as well then I'd say it's worth it. Better to fix something once and do it properly than to have to go back and fix it again if the first fix doesn't do the job.
    There's also something to be said about not spending money on unnecessary things.
  • crispy1980
    not really sure, they are braided outers so may just be this im seeing.
  • oodboo
    oodboo wrote:
    There's also something to be said about not spending money on unnecessary things.
    Meh

Strava