action medical york 100

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
i was wondering if anyone was doing this or have done before? i am certainly doing it but a little concerned the feet/meters climbed is inaccurate for the 100km its something like 2600ft and not much more for the 100mile which seems odd to me. i would consider the 100 if it was accurate as never gone that far before otherwise will stick to the 100km. any thoughts on the event also very welcome!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    likely incorrect. the info for the castle ride was short of about 6,000 feet!
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I did the 100 mile route 2 years ago and from memory the bulk of the climbing was in the first part of the ride going out toward Malton across the Wolds. Lunch stop on the 100 was at Burton Fleming and it was fairly flat coming back to York with a few minor climbs around Castle Howard. Lovely route however and would like to do it again but clashes with a work sponsored ride around Lancs and North Manchester.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I'm doing it (100km), for the first time. In fact its my first sportive. So not really sure what to expect, someone at work has done it the last 2 years, if i see him i'll ask about the climbs/difficulty.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • jch
    jch Posts: 5
    My first event of this type and distance. a bit miffed that 100km comes out as 68.2 miles as my longest ride to date was yesterday's 83k. hope those extra 6 are worth it, also hoping rain is not forecast
  • ianbar
    i have just done a 60miler as prep with 2800ft climbing. the elevation looks like its flat for a good 8 mile or so start and finish.looking forward to it, but don't really know any of the roads so won't be trying to cane it anyway!
    enigma esprit
  • ricklilley
    Looking at the York 100km route page today, and its showing 811m total climbing with a maximum gradient of 10.71%. The biggest climb looks to start at around the 30km mark, and about halfway down the following descent is the first feed station. So a good chance to refuel and stretch your legs out.
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • jopari
    jopari Posts: 84
    I'm doing the 100miler as my first ever sportive. Quite nervous due to only having done one 50m warm-up ride. Although looking at the route, it had as much ascent as the full 100m route on sunday. Still, 7+hours in the saddle is gonna be hard.
    Do most people ride in groups? I'm going to be on my own, do groups naturally form on the road? Don't fancy 7hours on my own.
    And, at the start, do you just go off whenever there's a free slot?
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    '96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop
  • ianbar
    i got the email today giving more info for the day. i have done a couple of sportives before where you basically set off as and when you was ready, this ones seems to allow groups to form at start and then let you go as a bunch. i think some groups tend to form naturally and even if you ride alone as people pass or you pass you might have a chat. i was tempted by the 100mile but i didn't believe the website saying how little climbing it was and didn't want to get caught out! so the 100km for me, looking forward to it although never ridden on any of the route so all new to me.
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    well my suspicions of the inaccuracy of the route info were correct lol 6 cat 4 climbs, it claimed top gradient was 10.8% but did at least 3 that topped 16% lol very much enjoyed though!
    enigma esprit
  • ricklilley
    ianbar wrote:
    well my suspicions of the inaccuracy of the route info were correct lol 6 cat 4 climbs, it claimed top gradient was 10.8% but did at least 3 that topped 16% lol very much enjoyed though!

Yeah i noticed that, some tough climbs, but a thoroughly enjoyable day. Would definately do it again.
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • ianbar
    oh yeah i will be doing it again next year, don't like decents though! lol otley sportive next for me i think.
    enigma esprit
  • jopari
    jopari Posts: 84
    I enjoyed it too, really well organised, and good cake/tea stops.

It was the flat bits which did for me; being in the same position on the bike for miles on end I found really uncomfortable. The hills were a refreshing change!

Will definitely do another sportive some time. This was a great route, especially the first 1/3rd through the wolds.
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    '96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop