xc chainset

black.converse
black.converse Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
hey, im currently running a xt triple speed chainset and im after to turn it into a single at the front. do i need to buy a new chainset or can i change it into a single speed? cheers
It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just take two of the chainrings off.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    buying a single ring specific chain ring will help with chain retention however but the cranks and spindle thingies work fine. Might also need smaller chain ring bolts (as in shorter) without the outer on there but maybe not.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You will need new chainring bolts, and either leave the mech on or get something else to stop the chain coming off.
    Or stick a bashring on then the bolts should be fine, and it looks gnarlier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • alright cheers guys, so just a bashguard and shorter bolts and i should be good to go to take the two chain rings of?? brilliant!!

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • cooldad
    With a bash you can probably use the same bolts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or just leave it as is and have full xc range?
  • can anyone suggest a link for a suitable bashguard, iv have no idea when it comes to these.

• http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47875

just read the bike radar conversion 1x9/2x9 conversion article -

surely this would work yes?, i dont need the full bashguard on the fron of the chainrings do i?

cheers

• cooldad
    You don't need anything except new bolts - just take some rings off and leave the mech on.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And even then the bolts off the granny might work.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools