Computer sensor mounting

Snailpace-Bob
Snailpace-Bob Posts: 36
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there. I'm very new to road cycling and after buying my bike this year I can safely say that Ive been bitten by the bug. My next item on the hit list is a cycle computer and I wondered if it would be possible to fit the sensor and magnet to the rear wheel? Cant really convince the Mrs that £200 is ok to spend for a gps model so wireless is the way to go, BUT I like the look of my bike and dont want to spoil it with a big chunky sensor on the forks.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Hi there. I'm very new to road cycling and after buying my bike this year I can safely say that Ive been bitten by the bug. My next item on the hit list is a cycle computer and I wondered if it would be possible to fit the sensor and magnet to the rear wheel? Cant really convince the Mrs that £200 is ok to spend for a gps model so wireless is the way to go, BUT I like the look of my bike and dont want to spoil it with a big chunky sensor on the forks.

I don't see why not, but the sensor may be too far away from the unit. Some computers only have a 50cm or so range so it may not work, but give it a try!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Bryton Rider 20, GPS so no need for a wheel sensor at all and you can start using Strava! How much? £90 from Evans, if you wait for a special offer you can get an extra 10% off.
  • Thanks for the advice but for now I need to stay in the bargain section. Spent a fortune on bike and kit in the last few weeks.
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    I have a cateye strada wireless that i dont use no more. Had it on bike for 200 odd miles and then went gps. (24 quid posted if you want to buy it :D). But i could fire it onto bike see if it will read from back wheel. My garmin does read from back wheel all time.
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    I have a cateye velo wireless and for £20 it's a bargain. I mounted the sensor at the bottom of the fork and the unit on the stem
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    All depends if you want a cadence sensor(Extremely handy) too,in which case both sensors will be on the rear wheel.
  • I bought a RSP unit with heart rate sensor from flea bay. Its fitted on the rear wheel and runs just fine. Only thing now is Im becoming obsessed with my pace arrow and average speed.
    Whats a respectable average to achieve?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I bought a RSP unit with heart rate sensor from flea bay. Its fitted on the rear wheel and runs just fine. Only thing now is Im becoming obsessed with my pace arrow and average speed.
    Whats a respectable average to achieve?

I'm pleased when I get above 16MPH, but the roads up here are in a really bad state and there is a mountain round every corner. I suppose if you've got a nice bike, no hills and good roads 20MPH is pretty good?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.