Winter Commuting

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Im getting prepared for this years winter commute as I was unprepared last year as it was my first commute, I need advice on what type of clothing, long gloves that are water proof, I already have shoe covers. I have lights I am saving up for there 450 lumens for front and around 250lumens for the rear. any advice is appreciated, I'd like it to be as comfortable as going in to work as it is in the summer I use a road bike. Cheers

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Layers, lots of layers so you can adapt. Use your regular bibshorts with bib/non bib tights over/under them. That's cheaper than buying loads of stuff that only gets used for a couple of months. Tenn stuff on ebay looks cheap.

Lights: I've got a magicshine Mj872 on the front and MJ818 on the back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cheers good point, I found this front light on ebay I am a bit weary about buying cheap lights due to brightness and all, but I saw this one on ebay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/800-Lumens-singl ... 2312382543
    Should I even bother
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I commute all year on a rural route. I researched lights to death and concluded that you get what you pay for, and so bought an Exposure Toro, with no regrets, it's fantastic.

I use Tenn regularly and would recommend them - very cheap, decent quality and superb customer service, especially their returns processing. Use their EBay shop as prices are less than their main web shop.

Agree that layering is the way to go. My shoes have a roomy toebox so I can get thick socks on then overshoes of course. I love winter commuting in the dark, as long as you're suitably equipped it's fine.
  • good point i will probably end up buying another one as cheaper they are they will just break, is it enough to have one really good front light and one really good rear?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    you get what you pay for.....

I use Tenn regularly and would recommend them - very cheap, decent quality and superb customer service

:lol::D

I bought my Magicshines and also have no regrets.

And no, you need more than one of each. I have two rear lights on, plus a spare and one front light plus a spare.

So far, I've not needed the spare of either but I wouldn't want to be caught out in the country lanes without any lights. Smart R2/R1 or the decent Blackburn/Cateye/Moon lights are all good on the back, as long as the batteries are 'full', but I do like the extra 'security' that comes with the brightness of the MJ-818.

Edit: My spare front light is a smaller 'get me home' thing, I haven't doubled up on Magichsines!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you have a rural commute, I'd also recommend either a cheap head torch (alpkit have a good one gamma) or zip-tying a torch to your helmet to make puncture repair inthe dark a little easier.
    For urban cycling, it acts to catch driver's attention at junctions/roundabouts when looking their way. If not, 3M reflective spoke "straws" are a cheap safety addition to the wheels to increase side-on visibility.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Or tight white trousers ;)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    twist83 wrote:
    Or tight white trousers ;)

That's for Summer commuting tips, Shirley?

(only tight due to ORSUM KWADS!)
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    White is bright ;)
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    Good front light (I use a Philips LED bike light, for riding on the road it is very good, 30-40mph descents still possible)
    Two rear lights, one flashing and one always on (I use a Blackburn Mars 4 and a Fibre flare)
    Spare LED torch for puncture repairs
    Clothes with reflectives (particularly on your feet/heels)
    Warm layered clothes (i.e. warm when wet)
    Overshoes
    Full length bib tights, or leg/knee warmers (3/4 length bibs are great in spring/autumn at keeping knees warm)
    Mudguards
    Good full finger gloves
    A smile :mrgreen: (try not to look manic, it scares co-workers)
    A mobile phone for when you buckle that wheel on an unseen pot-hole under the puddle...

Check your lights, tyres etc more often as problems are always more miserable is the p*ssing rain and cold. I like to line up the valve with writing on my tyres, 'racing changes' are preferred when you're late for work, in the rain/cold and changing a flat.

Don't worry about getting wet, only the effects of wind chill once wet. I love turning up in the office toasty warm when everyone else is defrosting hands on their mugs!

Remember the weather may change during the day and get warmer or colder than the morning run, you'll need to be able to adapt to that change with only what you wore/carried in to work.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    All of the above and a Marathon Plus tyre on the rear wheel.

Winter mornings and evenings can be very cold.

In my first winter I got a puncture about 7 miles into my 12 mile commute home. Most of that 7 miles was uphill so I was hot and sweaty.

It was around 1C and during the 20 minutes that it took me to change my tube, I got so cold I was shivering and my hands were numb. The last 5 miles were torture.

A hot bath and bowl of soup when I got home couldn't warm me up.