Advice on a new bike for >£400

lazerkid
lazerkid Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
So i have been looking at bikes for a while and was going to go same route as my brother and get a GT Aggressor xc2 (2008) but then wanted to do better than that, so i was wondering what bikes you could reccomend:
I am looking for a hardtail mountain bike either 18" or 20" as my current bike is a 18" saracen, and my brothers is a 20" and both sizes feel as good as each other. The bikes i have looked at recently are:

Merida Matts Pro-D Bike 2011 Model 18" Only - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -only.html

GT Aggressor Hardtail Bike 2010 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=43251

Carrera Vengeance Mountain Bike 2011/2012 - Medium 18" - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

Comments

• Mdon
    Mdon Posts: 18
    I would go for the Merida, it looks the nicest. I personally think the voodoos look terrible.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    edited July 2012
    That makes sense, go for the lower spec bike.... But it look nicer :?

It's all down to personal preference but that Merida looks awful.

Ps I don't think the Voodoo's look amazing either but it's how it rides that counts and from what I have read and heard no one has a bad word to say about them.

Rockrider is also worth a look OP.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Merida is unmatched for the money - but does have a poor fork. Add a Recon to it for £110 and for less than £400 total you'd have an unbeatable bike.
  • lazerkid
    supersonic wrote:
    The Merida is unmatched for the money - but does have a poor fork. Add a Recon to it for £110 and for less than £400 total you'd have an unbeatable bike.
    Going to go with supersonics idea and go for the Merida, which fork do you recommend and could you link it please :D

Couple of questions:
    Is Merida a reputable brand and last a long time?
    Has anyone used this website before?
    I may order the bike then a week later order the fork for it, would this harm it in anyway?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Merida - yes reputable.
    Merlin? Yes they are good.
    And what do you mean harm? You'll just have an iffy fork for a while.
    On One have the forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, get some when back in stock.
  • lazerkid
    Merida bike has gone back up to 300, is this still worth it? 20 pound difference compared to before!
  • Mdon
    Mdon Posts: 18
    It say you save an extra £30 at the basket too!
  • lazerkid
    Mdon wrote:
    It say you save an extra £30 at the basket too!
    . Lol nah the total price including shipping was 279 or something and now its 300, they said their 10% off medina bikes has expired that's why, was just wondering if it is still worth buying this bike! For a 6ft tall teenager is 18" frame big enough? Legs are 33 inches from inside crotch to floor.
  • Morty84
    Morty84 Posts: 26
    I've actually gone for this bike at 250.put a deposit down last week got myself some wellgo mg1's of ebay for 28 quid to go on it as heard there decent pedals. Are the shocks mentioned any good? And does anyone know if your can get a remote lockout for them?

Is a decent looking bike didn't want spend a fortune on a first bike so hope this is a good punt for a first mtb.
  • lazerkid
    What are wellgo mg1s? And where did you purchase the bike mate?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Wellgo MG1s are flat pedals. Try googling them or searching the forum.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Morty84
    I got it from merlin. Only 20 mins away from me so I can collect and don't have to pay the delivery. Have just been reading about cheap but ok upgrades and the main things what cropped up was seat, pedals and grips. Ill see what the seats like after a few rides before I decide if I want to change it and I'll order some odi ruffian grips or ss component grips as there pretty rated from reading this forum. They seemed pretty good at merlin as there was a extra 10% off online and they gave it me instore. Be a little cheeky and say you're friends bought one and it's been recommended is t still available at 250 they may just let it go. But then again £20 aint a massive increase. I was going to get the voodoo hoodoo but didn't want to really spend so much so decided on this after a few comments and reviews.

It all comes down to what you want and can afford.
  • lazerkid
    Morty84 wrote:
    I got it from merlin. Only 20 mins away from me so I can collect and don't have to pay the delivery. Have just been reading about cheap but ok upgrades and the main things what cropped up was seat, pedals and grips. Ill see what the seats like after a few rides before I decide if I want to change it and I'll order some odi ruffian grips or ss component grips as there pretty rated from reading this forum. They seemed pretty good at merlin as there was a extra 10% off online and they gave it me instore. Be a little cheeky and say you're friends bought one and it's been recommended is t still available at 250 they may just let it go. But then again £20 aint a massive increase. I was going to get the voodoo hoodoo but didn't want to really spend so much so decided on this after a few comments and reviews.

It all comes down to what you want and can afford.
    thank you very much, ill ring up tomorrow and ask in more detail if not I don't mind paying the full 300, 1 last question, does the bike come with pedals?
  • Morty84
    Someone else posted on another thread that the rock rider 8.0 will be on offer at £190 I think this sat. Keep a eye out for that. I think its pretty decent for the price everyone speak highly of the specs for the price.
  • lazerkid
    Morty84 wrote:
    Someone else posted on another thread that the rock rider 8.0 will be on offer at £190 I think this sat. Keep a eye out for that. I think its pretty decent for the price everyone speak highly of the specs for the price.
    what website would this be on and what is the origanal price of the bike mate?
  • cooldad
    Hunt through the threads, I've posted it twice already and can't be bothered to look again.
    It's a deal for loyalty card holders, so you need to register for one, and the deal is for Saturday only.

Better get in quick or Supersonic will buy them all and flog them in the classifieds.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lazerkid
    cooldad wrote:
    Hunt through the threads, I've posted it twice already and can't be bothered to look again.
    It's a deal for loyalty card holders, so you need to register for one, and the deal is for Saturday only.

Better get in quick or Supersonic will buy them all and flog them in the classifieds.
    Alright thank you mate, found the details and signed up online, will the loyalty card scheme work online as the store is to far for me
  • cooldad
    No idea really but I don't think they do mail order, just a shop.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Morty84
    From reading a few of the comments on the sites I don't think they come with pedals good thing I bought the mg1's. Let us know how you get on the the buy.
  • Hi guys thought I would point out that the rockrider 8.0 at Decathlon will be £269.99 on Saturday. Take a quick look on the facebook page and you will see this in one of the comment made.

http://www.facebook.com/decathlonuk