Adjusting front derailleur

qooqiiu
qooqiiu Posts: 212
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My front derailleur has yet again been refusing to climb up to the big cog. I have taken it back to the shop now about 6 times. It has been ok for about 7 hours riding, until now. Its a total pain in the arse to take it back again but i have no bike stand.

Ive looked at various youtube films and they all use a bike stand to make adjustments. Is there a simple way to sort this out or do i need to buy a stand?

Frustrated!!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've never owned a bike stand and have been fiddling with bikes for 40 years+. Just turn it upside down.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And have a look here - excellent how to do anything.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    I've never owned a bike stand and have been fiddling with bikes for 40 years+. Just turn it upside down.
    +Potato (apart from the 40 years bit) - either that or just lean it against a wall.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    One of our local bike workshops hangs the bikes on chains from the rafters to work on them. You don't need a fancy stand but having the bike the right way up with the wheels off the ground does make life easier.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pick up back wheel by lifting the rear of the saddle, spin cranks to check, put it down when finished, simples.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I do everything on the coffee table in my lounge. Being single and unloved has it's perks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Do you go walking on there?
  • cooldad
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Do you go walking on there?
    No i have a couch for walking on.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    mister p wrote:
    One of our local bike workshops hangs the bikes on chains from the rafters to work on them. You don't need a fancy stand but having the bike the right way up with the wheels off the ground does make life easier.

Definitely my favourite method, this. A couple of big hooks in your garage ceiling (or living room ceiling, who am I to judge?) and the whole thing is simple
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er