Got up my hill!

markp80
markp80 Posts: 444
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
As an enthusiastic newcomer, I've found the advice on this forum tremendous in introducing me to this sport. On one of my first rides I came across a hill that I found impossible to get to the top of without stopping and in fact I generally have to walk the last bit. Note, I call it a hill but I'm sure the regulars here would consider it a gentle slope.
Anyway, last night was attempt number 3 and I had decided it was time to MTFU. The upshot was that I rode to the top,albeit in the lowest gear I had, probably slower than walking speed, but nonetheless I got there. My HRM was reading 188, so I suspect I couldn't have gone much further! (I'm 49)
Just thought I'd share that, as I was well chuffed!
Cheers, MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Congratulations! It won't be long before you'll wonder why you even called that hill a hill! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    That's all part of the fun of cycling... Conquering the personal challenges we face whether it's average speed, elevation, distance or out sprinting your buddies to the end of the road.

Well done and keep at it. Before you know it you'll be spinning up that hill wondering what all the fuss used to be about
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Top man! Out of interest, which hill was it?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Well done, i can remember struggling with a hill near me for a while, get up it no problem now.

Although i got beat today. Rode a route i hadn't done before, without mapping it on Mapmyride to check distance/elavation. I struggled my way about 3/4s of the way up it, at an average of 4mph be fore giving in and walking. Then when i got to what i thought was the peak, it wasn't, it levelled out for about 200 meters then started to climb again. Although i rode up all the rest of it.

Coming down the other side wasn't much fun either 12% descent, very narrow and twisty, with big drystone walls either side. Think i might need to check my brake pads..

Wont be taking that road again.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

It's actually a small hill just outside Aberdeen. What's really made me laugh is that last night I made it a segment on Strava and I now see 40 people have done it - and I'm 38th! So, there's another goal set for me....

This is brilliant! :D
    Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Well done! Get up it again soon and your confidence and ability will improve too!
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Nice one! I achieved the same last week as well and its a GREAT feeling to conquer one that beat you. The first time I tried I ended up in a heap in a patch of nettles as i didn't even have the strength left in my legs to unclip. This is the closest segment on Strava, and there's another 200ft of ascent in half a mile beforehand, whichever way you come from.

Next, I need to get up the same hill from the other side. Got to about 1.1 miles up that.

Those personal targets are the most important ones. I've only be going out for rides other than commuting for a couple of months now, but the difference is amazing. On my first rides, two hills defeated me (this one and this one). Both are still hard work, but I don't fear them. Even managed the 2nd one on the big ring last week. Just keep plugging away and it'll get easier. Unfortunately for me, I've little chance to avoid hills - even a 'flat' 20 miles will involve the best part of 1000ft of climbing.
  • lancj1
    lancj1 Posts: 38
    Two years ago I went to Llandegla trail center with my son and had to push my mountain bike on several occasions up the climb to the top.

Yesterday i rode all the way up on the same mountain bike.

That's because of my I month road bike career - amazing effect of putting miles in (and I use that term loosely compared to many I read here...for now)
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Nice one, well done. As others have said, it won't be long before you start wondering what the fuss was about.

I started riding a couple of years ago and struggled with any kind of hill (115kg). I now go out and look for hills to make the rides more worthwhile and get more from them (95kg).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Good on you, now you've done it once you'll do it every time and only get quicker.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Well done. What I used to consider hills I now call speed bumps.