Gunk as chain de-greaser ?

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive got some Gunk that i used to de-grease oil from my car engine. Will this also work for my cycle chain ?

Also will i need to buy one of those gadget things to clean the chain or will a cloth just do ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just dunk it in a bowl or something and rinse well afterwards.
    You'll need to relube it properly though.
    If it's just to remove surface crud, I wouldn't go so extreme though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    cooldad wrote:
    Just dunk it in a bowl or something and rinse well afterwards.
    You'll need to relube it properly though.
    If it's just to remove surface crud, I wouldn't go so extreme though.

I dont really have the tools to take the chain off. To be honest there isnt alot of crud/grease on the chain. but it has been kept unused for 12+ months now so just wanted to give it a good clean before i start using the bike.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Scrub it on with an old toothbrush! Then scrub it off again with the same toothbrush covered in soapy water. Quick rinse in plain water, dry with an old rag and if you can, leave it out in sun/wind to dry properly. Should come up like new. Then just relube.

Mind you, if it's not dirty, why not just relube it and wipe off any excess with a rag? As long as it's running free you shouldn't have a problem.

FWIW, I have a chain cleaner, but I find just a standard brush does at least as good a job.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I use it for my chain. The liquid is better value than the spray. Just let it soak overnight in a tub, hose it clean, and fully relube it. I only do it once every few months or so though.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I had a jar of white spirit I dunked it and then dryed it off the relube it it took about 2 mins to do !
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    vim147 wrote:
    Ive got some Gunk that i used to de-grease oil from my car engine.
    You were doing what to your engine oil?

Anyway, just ride it. If the chain's been unused for 12 months then no harm will have come to it. It may need a bit of lube (maybe), but that's all.
    just go ride.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I had a jar of white spirit I dunked it and then dryed it off the relube it it took about 2 mins to do !
    Problem with this is lube needs to be inside the rollers of the chain, so the white spirit strips the lube out and replaces it.
    You need to make sure it's all out, or it will just dilute any lube added.
    The outside of the chain doesn't need lubrication.

Personally, I never degrease chains - seems pointless. I use wax lube from the beginning (Squirt), wipe the chain now and then (or hose it when I hose the bike) and reapply depending on conditions (maybe every half dozen dry rides, every two or three wet rides).

My current chain has been on for about eighteen months. Cassette and chainrings are well over two years old, and I ride a few times a week. Bugger having to work for a living.

So works for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools