Sore Bits!!!

Dredd6969
Dredd6969 Posts: 64
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hey All,

I've had enough of always walking like John Wayne after long rides, so it's time to get some relief from chamios friction.

I'm looking to buy some cream / balm / etc for the job. I justed wanted to know what everybody uses and there experiences.

Lets keep in clean guys!!! :D

Comments

• Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I use sweat. Not had this problem since I was a teen. Did lose a good few kg's though..

Leg abduction exercises would probably help. Vasaline, baby oil or similar would be ok for the mean time.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What's rubbing on what?

I find decent liner shorts are all I need.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I smear a bit of aquaeous cream (£1 from the pound shop for a big tub) in the various creases on longer rides.
    Chain lube might work as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    cooldad wrote:
    Chain lube might work as well.

wet or dry??
    Boardman comp 2012
  • Dredd6969
    The problem I've got is on longer rides I get really sore right in the area where the chamois padding sits of my shorts. I reckon I'm getting friction issues from the actual padding.

I've seen lots of balms and creams on the market but I like the idea of aquaeous cream (nice and cheap) if it works.
  • cooldad
    Works for me - lubes the grooves, but no idea if proper chamois cream is much better as I've never used it. Probably does. but no great loss at the price.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Dredd6969
    Think I will give aquaeous cream a go, see how it goes.

Also learnt a new word for the week

Perineum :D
  • cooldad
    That's quite disturbing.

Clagg it on thickish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've been using Assos chamois cream for really long rides, or when taking part in enduros (sssh, - don't tell northwind).
    Admittedly I haven't tried anything else - but this stuff really does the job.
  • cooldad
    That probably works better, but a big tub of cream lasts a suprisingly long time. And if he doen't like it, it can replace the jar of liver.
    I believe.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    i double pad, pair of built in liner shorts then a pair of good fitting lycras underneath do a smashing job of keeping me comfy
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I use udderly smooth chamois cream.

It's worth double checking, but you are 'commando' apart from the padded shorts aren't you? some people wear normal boxers underneath which bunch up and rub.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yep, only wear padded liner shorts under my baggies. I thought about getting some of that Udderly Smooth stuff (think it got 4 out of 5 stars recently in WMB), but thought I'd ask your opinions.

It is definitely a friction issue, so I don't think more padding is gonna make any difference. My last ride I used a bit of aloe vera lotion down there before I went out (thats all I had in the house) and it helped a bit, but I was still a bit sore afterwards.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    bails87 wrote:
    I use udderly smooth chamois cream.

It's worth double checking, but you are 'commando' apart from the padded shorts aren't you? some people wear normal boxers underneath which bunch up and rub.

+1 udderly smooth is very good, and cheap. Assos and chamois butt'r are also good but a bit less cheap. Sudocreme is pap.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The longest I've done is bit over 15 miles, I always wear my boxer shorts, tight fitting ones under my lined baggies, They ride up but suprisingly realllllllly comfy whilst riding lol Never had a problem.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Another vote here for udderly smooth. I'm just returning to riding after a long break due to injury so I know it will be hard going to start off with but I've found it gets better after a few rides
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    a vote for Assos creme from me
    did a 50 mile ride last year with just padded shorts was a hot day as well and halfway round I started to get sore, by the end of the ride I was in agony
    after that anything over 15 miles and I slap a bit of Assos cream on and never had a problem since
    it is a bit expensive but a you only need a small amount and the tube I got last year is still half full :)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodt0YAzA
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport