Need help -

Parisian15
Parisian15 Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm a Brit working in Paris and commute 15miles to the office navigating the Arc de Triomphe on the way :shock: .
The journey is all road but large parts in the city centre are cobbles or just plain crappy. I have a full suspension mountain bike (which I lock out) and road tires but want to move to a hybrid bike due to the below.

My cycling style is basically stay in the hardest gears and go for it, so only really use the front cogs. Average speed is 15.5mph which just shows the amount of stop start I do. There are a few hills which aren't a problem to go up but even with no traffic going down I can't get over 30mphs because of the gearing (just spin out) and the head wind.

So what i'm after is a bike that will allow me to:
1) Cycle fast, so higher gearing.
2) Is strong enough to get punished on rough roads. (just replaced the rear wheel after breaking and replacing 5 spokes in last few weeks).
3) Is low maintenance (150miles a week plus at least another 50miles weekend cruise) say 8000miles a year.
4) less than a grand...no cycle to work scheme for me over here :(

My thoughts were hub gears due to the maintenance and practicality but to be honest my only experience was my Raleigh Grifter....Legend of a bike... so not sure if this type of gearing will suit my need for higher speeds.
Not bothered about brake types or suspension forks unless you advice otherwise.
BTW i'm 15 stone, 6ft 3" and 34" inside leg so frame size considerations would be great.

There you go, please un-confuse me and guide me to the haloed light of commuter heaven.
cheers steven

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if your chucking the bike about and need big wheels a cx or 29er are probably the best bet

or if you wanted single speed for low low maintenance, no need to oil a chain, but maybe a rim change in a year... (and well under price I might add)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -belter-12
  • Thanks estampida and Jeppie,

They both look good bikes but I think I need to look in to single speeds and try one out, not sure that a single speed will give me the top end speed I'm after.

cheers
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Are you sure you can't pedal any quicker? Last weekend I did over 37mph on my MTB with a 38/11 big gear. That's about 120rpm, but on a triple with a 44t big ring and 11t small cog you'll only be doing 90rpm at 30mph, which is normal 'cruising' cadence. http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

What do you mean by 'only use the front cogs'? Do you leave the rear mech on the smallest cog of the cassette and just change which chainring you're on? That's not a good idea. The chain will be running at a sharp angle and you'll wear it, and the one cog on the cassette, quickly. Grinding along in too high a gear is also bad for your knees, and slower than 'spinning'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    bails87 wrote:
    Are you sure you can't pedal any quicker? Last weekend I did over 37mph on my MTB with a 38/11 big gear. .

Sure you did. I did 88 mph and went back in time too.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • thanks Bails87,

I can pedal a little faster but just look like a maniac on a bike, but it does already feel like 120 rpm. You've got me intrigued so I’m off to 'count mi cogs' to see what I actually have.

In terms of the top cogs I take on board what you say (front top and middle cogs) when in the lowest cog at the back.

Just been looking at the Boardman Hybrid pro £1K which has a carbon front forks, is this suitable for the mileage and cobbled streets of Paris, or is a disaster waiting to happen?