New RS Recons - Clicking noise?

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
They are 2011 model, brand new on my new bike, I was just compressing them while off lockoff, and as it gets far down it makes a loud clicking noise, any body have experience of this? I'm hoping its just a thing which needs to wear in.
Any advice?
I might make a video if no one understands

2011 Rockshox recon solo air rl
New video for this;
http://youtu.be/sRB0fh8LWho
Video is 11 seconds long so don't worry about me wasting your life :P

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it the forks, or your headset not adjusted properly?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • richardjiles
    cooldad wrote:
    Is it the forks, or your headset not adjusted properly?
    Hmmmm, I'll have to take a look, but I can't imagine the headset would cause this noise, and consistently.
  • cooldad
    Having now watched your vid - no. Is there any air in them?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • richardjiles
    cooldad wrote:
    Having now watched your vid - no. Is there any air in them?
    There is a good amount, I had to push down quite hard, however no I have not pumped them up yet, haven't got a shock pump :(
  • cooldad
    Look very soft to me, might be bottoming out but I've never heard that. I think you need a Nick or SS. Forks are not my strong point, too modern.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Have you tried changing the rebound (red dial on the bottom of the fork leg) to see if it makes a difference?
  • richardjiles
    Greer_ wrote:
    Have you tried changing the rebound (red dial on the bottom of the fork leg) to see if it makes a difference?
    I did turn it all the way to the rabbit side, let me turn it to the turtle and ill get back to you on that

EDIT: No luck, in fact i think it made it louder XD
  • As cooldad mentioned they do look a little soft imho. I have the coil Recons of the same year so can't compare BUT i would get a shock pump to be honest (you will need to get one in the end). And put the required amount of air into the baby's. However i don't think they should be making a clunking sound like that really to be honest as there should be bottom out stops to avoid harsh clunks.

I have bottomed out mine a bit (to many pies :oops: :lol:) i can tell this because of the oil tide marks on the stanchions BUT have never felt any harsh clunks or clicks. Infact the only noise they make is the squelch of oil in the rebound damper. Add the required psi for the sag/weight you are if it still does it i would be getting in contact with the retailer mate.

Thanks.
  • sounds like the rebound is farked?

Are tey new or 2nd hand?

You really need to check the fork pressures 1st though.
  • sounds like the rebound is farked?

Are tey new or 2nd hand?

You really need to check the fork pressures 1st though.
    Brand new off a 2011 model bike, ordered a shock pump btw