am i too old

sjireland
sjireland Posts: 35
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi folks. i am thinking about taking up cycling at the good old age of 44 :) just looking for some tips on purchasing a bike (cheap to start) and diet. i am 6ft and 15.5 stone. any help would be great :D

Comments

• AlahDamIt
    AlahDamIt Posts: 44
    NO

Im 43 got my first road bike 8 weeks ago 6ft2 14.5 stone
    Riding 30 miles at an average of 15 to 16 mph with lots of hills

lovin it
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    sjireland wrote:
    Hi folks. i am thinking about taking up cycling at the good old age of 44 :) just looking for some tips on purchasing a bike (cheap to start) and diet. i am 6ft and 15.5 stone. any help would be great :D

you're too old.

Go away.

Start looking at zimmer frames.

C_71_article_1130358_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?06%2F08%2F2009%2016%3A01%3A12%3A125

What's your zimmer frame budget? I'll advise you on what to buy.
  • sjireland
    thanks lol but not quite zimmerman yet :)
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    No, a client of mine started cycling at 57, and I'm putting him together a bike now he is 60. We went for a ride and he's got more in his legs than some of my friends half his age.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I did a ride recently with a geezer who was late 60's, his dad is 101 and still manages to get out for 15 mins each day.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Did you ride when you were a kid and want to take it up again, or are you really a newbie with zero cycling experience?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I hope not! I'm 45 and plan many years of cycling yet. Buy it, without a shadow of a doubt.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Over 20 yrs ago I joined an over 30 Club and one of the members was 70yo and still racing. I see at over 90yo now he is still racing and setting records in his age group for TT's, although I would imagine the competition is a little sparse in his class. So sjireland you still may have about 50 years to get fit. 8)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    yeah, way too old, I hate competition!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    sjireland wrote:
    No, you're really not too old mate, take it up and start enjoying!!
  • Don't you follow the news you are too young - stick with the golf clubs for a few years until you are a real MAMIL :D
  • sjireland
    thanks guys. i have an old mountain bike i will use to start and will look into getting something better.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    You have a pm
  • sjireland
    a pm ?
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    sjireland wrote:
    thanks guys. i have an old mountain bike i will use to start and will look into getting something better.

Yea, go for it. You're starting just as I did after a very long lay off. Ride for pleasure rather than blasting yourself, road and off road. Try out some slickish tyres when the paths are dry and you'll fly on the road. I ride a hybrid for longer rides when the roads are wet/damp because of the grit. Leave your road bike riding until you've got rid of the 'belly bump' because you will not be able to get on the drops and take advantage of what they give you. I'm a lot, lot older than you and my road average is 18 to 22mph depending on the terrain after starting 18 months ago. You may find some hidden talent in your riding ability so it's worth giving it a go.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Toe knee
    Personal message, press pm under your name. :D
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    sjireland wrote:
    a pm ?

Not too old for the bike but clearly too old for one of these new fangled computer things!!
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    sjireland wrote:

Never too old mate. Specialized Allez is mean't to be a great entry level bike. I have never had one, but I have seen them recommended. A mate of mine at work (51) just bought one and is really happy with his new bike and sport.

Most important thing is to get a bike that fits YOU and YOU are comfortable with. A good LBS (Local Bike Shop) should sort this out.

Diet? Cut out the crap, reduce the booze (if any) and get out and ride as much as you can, your weight will soon drop off. That will do you for now.

Forget speeds, distance etc just now, just get out and enjoy yourself.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Reminds me of Fight Club... "You're too old, fat man" :lol:

I was on a bike ride along Middlewood Way (Marple to Macclesfield, nice and flat, but dusty) and I saw a guy with really short pink shorts on in full marathon gear... I swear to god he must have been over 70. Was extremely thin, had grey hair, a really deep suntan, face like leather, but he was going at a good pace.

If he can do that, I would say anyone can do anything, pretty much.

I am 35 now and a bit worried, I have "lost" 20 years of my life where I could have been doing this already, but exercise keeps you young in itself, witness the 70+ year old marathon guy.

You're alternative is to end up like my dad - unable to walk up the stairs at 62. Its never too late. There are even people over 80 lifting weights and doing cardio, very light weights on doctors orders, but lifting weights nevertheless, which is more than a lot of 20 year olds do!

In fact the doctor told my dad to get more exercise and he isn't, I have given up on him. :(
  • No from me - started after a 20+ year break, aged 42 and was at 16 and half stone - now 14 stone 4lbs

Go for it !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Purchased my first road last year aged 60 and loving it. Done over 1000 miles this year, a few sportives, a cycling holiday in France and can average nearly 13mph in hilly old Cornwall. On strava I am pretty competive on an age related basis. Go for it
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Too old at your age!,,, I bough my first road bike last November at 64, I only go 30 miles max, and at my own pace, since I started riding it I've dropped almost a stone, so buy it and enjoy.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Definitely not too old, just take it steady and at your own pace and you'll improve. With regard to bikes, what's your budget ? You'll get plenty of good advice on here.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    Two and a half years ago I was 44.I have had a bike since I was a lad but never used it for anything other than practical purposes.
    Then I started to go out on my bike just for fun.My first ride was 10 miles.When I got home I remember thinking I could have gone further and probably a bit faster.That thought has cropped up lots of times since.Now I've covered nearly 9000 miles and gone from 90kg to 75kg.
    With regard to diet, I probably eat more cakes now. :)
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Started last year aged 43, hadn't ridden since teens, 15 3/4 stone, now 11 1/2 and rode The Etape this year. If you do get into it then join a club, riding with faster riders is the best thing to help you improve.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I'm 40 and three months ago i weighed 16 stone. Now i weigh under 14 stones and I am running and cycling quite happily. You are not too old - surely you know that already.

Get yer arse out on the bike. My parents are both diabetic, overweight, and are losing their mobility. It breaks my heart. I wish I could do something to fix them. To be honest it gives me nightmares :(

I swore not to put my kids through that and one day i just woke up and started training. By the way imho even more important than training is your diet - however training will kill your appetite a bit and motivate you not to eat crap as you will have to carry that crap every hill you ride up :)

Do it now for the people you love mate :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • thanks guys
    got an old mountain bike to get me started. :)
  • You are never too old to be healthy, you are only as old as you feel, I'm 40 and just started cycling last November, I try to ride every other day if work allows it but always ride both days on the weekends for a total of 80 miles on the weekend alone, I hope to still keep improving and keep on riding till I'm well into my 70's .
  • first ride this evening 10.2 miles in 52.36 mins. dont know if thats good but i feel great about it. roll on tomorrow night :)
  • Toe knee
    Good lad,that's ok that , keep at it mate :D:lol: