HELP! Have I been sent the wrong tyres???

plasma_man
plasma_man Posts: 129
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi all.

I wanted new Rubber Queens, 2.2, Folding (non UST) so I ordered these

http://www.bikester.ch/fahrradteile/rei ... 24683.html

It's in German, 2.2 Zoll (inch) Faltbar (Foldable). Nowhere on that page does it say UST.

I got the tyres today, the box reads correctly, the code and part numbers match the 2.2 Black Chill FOlding from the Continental website ie.
Code 0100229 (non UST Black ChillI) http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ueen.shtml

The tyre in the box has a small symbol on it saying UST Tubeless. There are no other codes on it. What have I been sent, UST or non UST?? Can I simply fit UST to my ALex rims on my cube, I never planned to do it so need to look at what else I need. Thanks for any advice on what to do next! Pics of the box and tyre in the link below!

http://www.wikialbums.com/?2APehna1jNGEtimvEhR
- 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit dramatic, but they will fit. Heavy though - just send them back and ask for the right ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    As above, they'll fit, but are a heavier tyre.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Try weighing them to see whether they are UST or normal weight.

They may just have the wrong graphics on them or something
  • plasma_man
    leaflite wrote:

I thought to try that too, just home. Put the tyre on the scales and they are 764g. The website says the non UST BC version should be 600g and the UST should be 800g. The standard non BC 780g.

764g seems quite low for a 800g tyre. What are the expected tolerance on these tyres? They are the 600g version I was looking for anyway! They are also hard to source anywhere, looking at alternatives. Something for XC marathons, plenty climbs, downhills, drive forestry tracks but would also like to leave on for the muddy stuff. Might consider the Hans Dampf, they are easier to get a hold of.
  • plasma_man
    Plasma_man wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

I thought to try that too, just home. Put the tyre on the scales and they are 764g instead of 600g The website says the non UST BC version should be 600g and the UST should be 800g. The standard non BC 780g.

764g seems quite low for a 800g tyre. What are the expected tolerance on these tyres?
    They are also hard to source anywhere, looking at alternatives. Something for XC marathons, plenty climbs, downhills, dry forestry tracks but would also like to leave on for the muddy stuff. Might consider the Hans Dampf, they are easier to get a hold of.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or use it as an opportunity to convert to tubeless.
  • plasma_man
    Thought about that too! But I really have no idea where to start, I know nothing about tubeless. I need to start googling to see what is involved.

Do UST tyres fit to my Alex rims, standard rims on a Cube AMS 125.

I would also be happier if I was sure these were the UST version, as the weight is too light for them but to heavy for what I order, I can't find a RQ 2.2 near 764g???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sound like UST. I'd check with where you bought them and send them back. Even the weight you got is chunky.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • plasma_man
    Will send them back, easy to do as there is a return sheet and free postage etc etc.

Continental have a handfull of tables showing the same tyres with various specs, it's all a bit confusing. I did find this page however, that seems to have 2 version of the tyre I wanted with 2 different weights. So my 864g matches the 3rd tyre in the table. But I wanted the top tyre at 660g...confused? Anybody makes sense of the table.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... en_en.html
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Plasma_man wrote:

They do 4 26 inch 2.2 rubber queens(from the UK site, which is more helpful) :
    Standard compound, wire bead, 850g
    Standard compound, folding bead, 780g
    Black chilli compound, folding bead, 650g
    Black chilli compound, UST bead, 800g