Noob needs help with Disk Brakes

payspeanuts
payspeanuts Posts: 31
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just received a Charge lender 2012, my first bike with disk brakes. I went for a ride around the block and the rear rotor was rubbing so I read the manual and tried to centre the brakes. The problem is I think I've loosened the wrong bolts on the rear calliper, so when I've pulled on the lever some brake fluid has come out. I tightened the bolts up and now the lever is really spongy in fact it nearly touches the grip when I pull on it and now the rotor is squeaking which I'm guessing is because it's got brake fluid on it.

The brakes are Avid Elixir 1

Any help gratefully received as I've only had the bike a couple of days.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It will probably now need a full bleed - download the service manual from SRAM.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    You may well have contaminated the pads too - so may have to replace them and don't forget to clean the rotor if any fluid may have got on there. :cry:
  • Thanks supersonic and lpretro1 hopefully bleeding isn't too difficult to do, ill give it a whirl. Maybe should of stuck to my old v-brake equipped bike :roll:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You will need a bleed kit to do the Avids you need a stupid little threaded adaptor to fit the bleeding syringes. Try these guys they do everything you need plus instructions its where I got mine from.

Epic bleed kit
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap