Fork steerer cutting concern.

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Ok, I have a felt F4 with an easton EC90 sl fork, all carbon. I have got my bike fit right and now want to cut my steerer down to fit. I have done this before on my Litespeed but on the easton forks, the fork star nut seems very tight and is too high to cut the tube to the required length. Do I just be a bit more forceful and knock the star nut further down or not cut at all and leave it as it is ? I haven't been keen to give the star nut a bit of force as I do not want to damage anything.

Cheers, David.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You should not be using a star fangled nut in a carbon steerer tube. Use a compression bung instead. You will have to force it out and hope for the best.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Thanks, but it looks like I have jumped the gun. After some google-fu i reckon i have the easton forks with an internal thread to wind the bung furhter down into the fork. thanks for answering , though. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...