Swapping rear derailleur

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Hi!

I recently acquired a very old Peugeot Road bike (a premiere something) that a friend found in a skip and gave to me. It was very rusted and there was some sort of plant growing on the bars. I've completely stripped it and cleaned it up, and I'm intending on giving it to my dad when it's finished. It has an old derailleur like this one:

Shimano+SIS.JPG

and it's clogged up with grime and dirt and whatever else is in a skip. I found one of these in another skip the other day:

41863.jpg

and was wondering whether I can swap the old one out for this? Can I perhaps change over the cogs aswell so I don't need a new chain? FYI the bike also has downtube shifters.

Thanks for any help!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Will not work. You need one with the same mounting.

IIRC tourney have the same mounting option as your old one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    nicklouse wrote:
    Will not work. You need one with the same mounting.

IIRC tourney have the same mounting option as your old one.

The old one isn't exactly the same as the one pictured. The mounting screw(s) look the same and the new one seems to fit, but I'm not sure whether it'll be compatible with the 6-speed cassette and the downtube shifters?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your downtube shifters aren't indexed, ie you can put the lever where you like rather than it having a certain number of preset clicks, then you should be able to make it work.