Best Full Sus 29er All Mountain?

Crayfish
Crayfish Posts: 225
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Not that I can afford it, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on what the best All Mountain 29er (full sus) is, forgetting about the cost.

I'm thinking the lack of a decent travel 29er fork may for some people mean they don't consider there to be a fantastic AM 29er yet... Opinions?
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs
Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I havent tried one myself but I'd imagine a Tallboy LT would be right up there. Review I read recently certainly suggested it was pretty good.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Crayfish
    There doesn't seem to be many who are riding 29ers here in the UK - perhaps they're only popular in the US?
    Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because it's a commie big pharma fatcat banker military industrial complex conspiracy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    or because brits are far less prone to believing hype than our cousins over the pond .
    ive tried afew and wouldn't pick any of them over a 26er .

have a look on some US based forums they'll be more than happy to tell you how they go up hill without you even having to pedal and turn even champeryesqe desents into little more than fire roads :roll:
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    probably a tallboy LTc fitted with a fox 34 and an angleset, or an intense tracer 29. Either one would be good, shame the colours on the tallboy aren't great. needs more lime green!

Personally I don't think a long travel 29er will ever become that mainstream, 26 and 650b will rule the 150+ travel brigade, but frankly I'm more than happy with 26" wheels :)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    santacruz tallboy LTC or a Intense bandit are my choices, will be going down that route later this year maybe next, but i have got a FS 29er already and is much better for me than my old 26" wheels :D
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Crayfish
    Just did a quick check on MTBR and the full sus 29ers with more than 45 reviews are:

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (48 reviews scored 4.52)
    Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon (76 reviews scored 4.88)
    Niner R.I.P 9 (92 reviews scored 4.88)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    But that's probably because you are a commie big pharma fatcat banker military industrial complex lover right?

They may well pedal up hils without any effort on my part (or so people who love them tell me) but they also get stuck in between trees and have the turning circle of a house boat (or so people who dont like them tell me)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Crayfish
    Supply and distribution seems a bit limited here in UK so far - not sure you can get the Niner RIP made up as a full bike... and the price of the Tallboy LT built up is ridiculous.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Orange Gyro - seems a bit cheaper...?
  • cooldad
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    santacruz tallboy LTC or a Intense bandit are my choices, will be going down that route later this year maybe next, but i have got a FS 29er already and is much better for me than my old 26" wheels :D
    But you name your bikes after girly pop singers and are very Andyish, so your opinion is worthless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    edited August 2012
    I've got a Titus Rockstar 29er 100mm/120mm forks, the bike I had before was a Yeti 575 with fox 150mm forks. So far I have ridden Cannock, Afan, Glentress & Inners on the Rockstar, in the majority of cases - but not all for trail centre riding, as a direct comparison the Rockstar is quicker (Strava) and has more grip in the corners than the Yeti.

I have yet to compare it on the lumpier natural stuff, but I suspect it will be a little slower but not by much, technical climbing is FAR better on the Rockstar. The 'tight corner barge' thing is a factor, but in an entire weekend of riding in scotland there was 1 issue on a section where I fluffed it in the same place as I had done previously on my Yeti... other than that I didn't manage to wrap myself round any trees or get wedged between them.

Small bump/'jittery' descents and rooty sections are better on the Rockstar, it seems to flatten them out, larger step downs are better on the Yeti (more travel).

I haven't tried any of the other 29er FS offerings, but i'm pretty pleased with my choice, one thing you need without a doubt is a remote dropper, dropping the seat transforms the handling I think its essential to get the best out of the bike... and a beard of course.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • VWsurfbum
    cooldad wrote:
    are very Andyish
    OMG i cant believe you just said that!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    i agree with everything that Pilch said

and Crayfish dont get the Orange, i'd even recomend the the Specialized over the Orange!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tried a few (Trek Rumblefish, Singular Swift, Intense Spider), seem to make more sense as short travel xc bikes than as AM bikes. Steering is not as nice, especially in tight turns and feel a bit sluggish out of turns. Tyre & fork choice is also a bit limited.
    Bigger wheels do make a difference in soaking up small bumps but they won't help on landing jumps and drops and a big wheel will always be heavier or weaker than a equivilent 26" wheel.
  • Crayfish
    I must have given the wrong impression - apologies. This thread is not supposed to be to debate the old 29er vs 26er argument.

Just looking for feedback on decent 29 er FS All Mountin bikes, which can be sourced in the UK. Theres tons of stuff out there on the US forums e.g. MTBR but I was looking for the UK perspective.

What's wrong with the Orange!!??
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Crayfish wrote:
    What's right with the Orange!!??

ftfy :wink:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Transition Bandit 29
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    DodgeT wrote:
    Crayfish wrote:

Its just a 5 for bigger wheels :shock: :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    Crayfish wrote:

So it sounds like a sack of spanners?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    Crayfish wrote:

So it sounds like a sack of spanners?
    Well not seen/heard one in the flesh and Hope wheels are optional :lol::wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Crayfish
    anyone out there have the Orange Gyro?
  • Crayfish
    Bumping this.

I'm still researching what the best value All Mountain 29er is that's available in the UK.

Looking for it to come with a dropper seatpost (preferably Reverb), decent hubs (e.g. Hope Pro2), and tubeless rims as minimum...

Ideas?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Sounds like you need a custom build!
    I'm not convinced that a 29er will make a good all mountain bike. Lack of suspension travel will make harsh landings uncomfortable and bigger wheels will add weight or lack strength.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Titus are testing a 29er el guapo, as good value goes very few off all that off the shelf, transition bandit 29 custom build would be my bet if you want value.
  • cooldad
    Crayfish wrote:
    Bumping this.

I'm still researching what the best value All Mountain 29er is that's available in the UK.

Looking for it to come with a dropper seatpost (preferably Reverb), decent hubs (e.g. Hope Pro2), and tubeless rims as minimum...

Ideas?
    So what research have you done over the last few weeks, or is this the extent of it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Crayfish wrote:
    Not that I can afford it, but .... Opinions?
    Plus I'm kind of failing to see the point of the thread. You aren't actually looking for a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Crayfish
    lawman wrote:
    Titus are testing a 29er el guapo, as good value goes very few off all that off the shelf, transition bandit 29 custom build would be my bet if you want value.

Yep - I know a guy who's testing the El Guapo. He likes it - says it has better grip than previous bikes he has ridden and watching him on it it clearly handles really well. He's been beating it to death though and I think the bushings are starting to exhibit some play. Not convinced about its durability as yet, but definitely worth a look.
  • MTBSC
    MTBSC Posts: 1
    A Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc with:
    Fox Float 34 and Float shock with Kashima coat and CTD
    Full Shimano XTR drivetrain
    Shimano XTR Trail brakes (180/180)
    ENVE AM 29 carbon wheels
    Rockshox Reverb seatpost
    Maxxis Ardents
    ENVE DH bar
    Thomson X4 stem
    ODI Ruffian grips
    Chris King headset and bottom bracket
    Fizik Gobi XM saddle
    topped of with pedals of your choice. Perhaps XTR Trail pedals?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have a bit of a soft spot for the genius 900 although I prefer the 27" one.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Mate of mine has just bought a Trance 29r full XT i know it's a 125mm travel but it's gone everywhere my 140mm has although i think the Trance 29r looks a bit strange but they seem to get good reviews and the maestro suspension is excellent.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB