Upgrade or Buy new?

Ricey_UK
Ricey_UK Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I've been looking around the forums for a while now and it appears to be an excellent source of information :D

So, as I'm looking to get back into biking I've joined up here to get some advice from you guys.

Here's my story!

A long while ago I used to enjoy MTBing and got myself a nice little Scott Boulder (1997 model)
I stopped riding a while later due to work and starting a family! But now as my family is getting bigger (as is my waistline!) I've decided to get back on my bike.

Here's my quandry for which I need some help!

With a budget of up to 350 pounds....

Do I upgrade/replace the components of the Boulder to the latest gear or splash out and get a new bike?

If I go for an upgrade which are the best components to get for this budget?

If I buy new, what do I get for around 400 quid?

I've set 350 as the top limit for the upgrade as there is a Cannondale Trail SL 5 (2011) on pauls cycles for 380 which I'm thinking is a similar level of bike with a decent equipment level???

So please, all your expert advice is most welcome.

thanks all in advance

Dave

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for a new bike, the old Boulders have a lot of basic parts that will cost a lot to get anywhere near as good as what you can get for £400. The SL5 is a solid bike, but check the GT Avalanches out from Paul's too, as well as the Voodoo Bantu from Halfords, and the Rockriders form Decathlon.
  • Ricey_UK
    Thanks,

have had a look, and they are nice bikes! The difficult part is choosing which one, there are various different models, especially the Rockriders.

any suggestions?

cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rockrider 8.0 is excellent for the money - a spy tells me it is being reduced to £190 on Saturday ;-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Rockrider 8.0 is excellent for the money - a spy tells me it is being reduced to £190 on Saturday ;-)
    As long as
    "Come to the store from Monday with your Loyalty Card - Saturday: BTwin Rockrider 8.0 MTB Save £180!"
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ricey_UK
    cooldad wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    As long as
    "Come to the store from Monday with your Loyalty Card - Saturday: BTwin Rockrider 8.0 MTB Save £180!"

Sounds like a great deal!

where did you get that quote? I can't see it on Decathlon's site :(

I'm quite happy to get a loyalty card and go to a store for that saving! :D

cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do it!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ricey_UK wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    As long as

Sounds like a great deal!

where did you get that quote? I can't see it on Decathlon's site :(

I'm quite happy to get a loyalty card and go to a store for that saving! :D

cheers
    Somebody linked to this in another post
    http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBQFj8 ... .chtah.com
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ricey_UK
    Ah great,

looks like the offer email someone was sent - useful details, I wonder if it only applies to his store?

I'll have to wait and see I guess - fingers crossed!

Apart from that bike, what are the similar models for that price?

cheers