V brake centering woes! Help please.

Gary P
Gary P Posts: 165
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old MTB with basic Tektro V brakes. Theres no centering screw on any of the four of them so it makes life difficualt when one goes out.

Problem is that the front R/H one is now moving against the brake pillar once pulled and will not spring back any more, even if I bend the tension arm back.

Basically, it won't stay put against the pillar but moves with the arm.

Any ideas or do I just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how is it with the cable discontected?

is it friction in the cable or is it the arm?

I would bin them and change the cables at the same time.

a rension screw is really rather good to have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You can bend the spring OUT on the one touching the rim. However if you remove the offending V Brake and look at the boss (the bit on the frame it pivots on). You should see 3 little holes for the spring end to sit in. If it isn't in the top one already put it into it. Also give the boss a good greasing and make sure it pivots freely. Probably a good idea to do all 4 imho.

Thanks.
  • Gary P
    I think the issue is that the cheap Tektro brakes fitted don't have the spring that fits into the hole on the boss and rely solely on the serrated edge and where it mates with the opposing serrated edge. As a result, the whole thing moves on the mount. Reckon I'll just have to replace it.
  • In that case mate i would junk the buggers and perhaps look for some Shimano ones.

Thanks.
  • Gary P
    Have night a shimano one and replaced it. Job done !