Very little travel on Suntour XCM V3 fork

andymcd
andymcd Posts: 8
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a Jamis Durango Sport 2012 which has come fitted with a Suntour XCM V3 fork (the Jamis and Evans sites say it comes with a RST Blaze TNL fork, but I definitely have Suntour on mine).

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be much travel in the fork, the preload is set to minimum and the lock out is off but putting my entire weight on the fork moves it less than half way down. Is this something that I can fix (and if so, what would you suggest that I do?) or do I just have to live with it until I can afford to replace it?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    andymcd wrote:
    putting my entire weight on the fork moves it less than half way down.

What's that in mm/inches? The Suntour forks I used to have supposedly had 80mm of travel, but around 100 - 120mm of exposed stanchion when they were unloaded: it's not safe to assume that the entire stanchion can be made to disappear into the fork lowers. They should move a bit though - mine certainly did.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Hi mate Suntour forks are notorious for coming with excessively hard springs. It is possible to purchase softer ones but i can't off the top of my head remember where :roll:. Whack a ziptie on one of the stanchions and go for a good ride then tell us how far from the top of the seal to the ziptie.

Remove the tie after though as they can trap dirt under them and MAY scratch your stanchion.

EDIT: Though to be fair you shouldn't be able to bottom out the forks just by pushing down on them/riding. The last bit of travel you only discover in those "brown trouser" moments :lol:.

Thanks.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Hi mate Suntour forks are notorious for coming with excessively hard springs. It is possible to purchase softer ones but i can't off the top of my head remember where :roll:

Greyville enterprises 8)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    andymcd wrote:
    putting my entire weight on the fork moves it less than half way down.
    Your weight shouldn't cause the forks to bottom out - otherwise they wouldn't cope with even moderately large trail impacts.
  • andymcd
    andymcd Posts: 8
    Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I'll try to take a look tonight or tomorrow and report back.

I'm feeling less bad about the fork following your responses, but will try to check what you've all suggested.

Andy
  • my missis bike came with some that where crazy stiff for a small girls bike. Simply undo the nuts at the bottom, slide the lowers of and grease to buggery fork seals and all. problem solved. not a bad fork after that considering the price. but yes i do think the spring rate is to hard for the bike size/type that the fork was fitted to but thats not suntours fault realy (specialized myka 2012)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also they can fill with water which limits travel somewhat, always worth a basic service to check!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    iIm glad i've come across this thread as i've had my trek 4500, 2012 model about 11 months now and the front forks suntour xcm v3 have always had really hard springs.

I can't wait to change them for some rockshox recons or rebas
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Other downside is the weight, they weigh 2.7kgs!
    I've just thrown some in the bin but kept the lowers as they might make a useful jig for truing wheel.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    swod1 wrote:
    iIm glad i've come across this thread as i've had my trek 4500, 2012 model about 11 months now and the front forks suntour xcm v3 have always had really hard springs.

I can't wait to change them for some rockshox recons or rebas

Get an entry level air fork, problem solved. Infinately adjustable without resorting to trying out different strength springs. Like tyres, just pump up as hard or as soft as needed for someone of your weight. Suntour Epicons can be had for less than £150. Quite a lot lighter at 1.6kg too.