Gout

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I suffer quite badly from gout. It is a muvva-fukker. I have it in my right foot at the moment and the agony of clipping out is intense.

Anyone else suffer from Victoria ailments?

TB?

The plague?

Consumption?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Pretty sure NSB had that recently too.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I had pleurisy - played havoc with my cycling for a while! Agony to breathe and complete agony to breathe deeply!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I thought i had Scurvy for a while. Just turns out that i wasn't getting enough sleep....
  • Paulie W
    I suffer quite badly from gout. It is a muvva-fukker. I have it in my right foot at the moment and the agony of clipping out is intense.

Anyone else suffer from Victoria ailments?

TB?

The plague?

Consumption?

Too much wine? Daily fry ups?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Gout? Ooof!

Had pleurisy last year. Sounds a bit Victorian.
  • Paulie W
    vermin wrote:

We could start a support group.
  • clarkey cat
    What is pleurisy?

Isnt that when you copy someone's work?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Same here, got it for the first time this year. Couldn't walk on it for two weeks and couldn't wear a shoe on my right foot for about a month. Because I'm an idiot, and don't like going to the doctor, I didn't get it properly treated for the first week. I think it is probably the most pain I've ever been in. The NSAIDs worked like magic for the constant pain, and the joint is almost back to normal now, if still a little sore. I'm back on the bike, but running is still a bit painful.

I've been laying off the starlings in aspic and after dinner port. So far so good.
  • I thought it was someone who got apostrophes in the wrong place?
  • Paulie W
    I thought it was someone who got apostrophes in the wrong place?

This is why we need a support group (sob).
  • clarkey cat
    I've been laying off the starlings in aspic and after dinner port. So far so good.

It is absolutely brutal isnt it NSB. Did you cry? I'm not afraid to admit I cried. Actual pain cry like when you are a kid.

Unfortunately due to a pre-existing condition I get it quite alot. Booze doesnt help but it comes on every month or so. Generally only lasts a few days.
  • vermin
    edited July 2012
    Paulie W wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Ha! Didn't see your post. Painful, eh?
    What is pleurisy?

A bit like having a knife stuck in your upper chest for 3 months.

Oh and, re crying with gout, don't blame you. I didn't cry with pleurisy, but the pain did make me faint in a pub and I woke up surrounded by paramedics! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    What is pleurisy?

It's an infection of the lining of the lungs - there are two types: dry and wet. Dry is the common variant and wet the one where fluids may seep into the lungs.

I found this out when I went to the Doctors and complained that I creaked when I breathed. She did the diagnosis and confidently stated it was dry not wet pleurisy. I asked how she knew and she said "Well if it is was wet, you'd be dead."

:shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,612
    I'm pretty sure Consumption and TB are one and the same. And they are on the up in London atm.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    What is pleurisy?

It's an infection of the lining of the lungs - there are two types: dry and wet. Dry is the common variant and wet the one where fluids may seep into the lungs.

I found this out when I went to the Doctors and complained that I creaked when I breathed. She did the diagnosis and confidently stated it was dry not wet pleurisy. I asked how she knew and she said "Well if it is was wet, you'd be dead."

:shock:

Reminds me when I took a friend to hospital. We were on our way to the pub, when he started complaining his legs really hurt.

Rolled up his trousers and it was all puffed up round his ankles. Took him to the doctor - turned out to be kidney failure. Doctor said had he had a beer he'd have probably died. :shock:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Paulie W wrote:
    I had pleurisy - played havoc with my cycling for a while! Agony to breathe and complete agony to breathe deeply!

Pleurisy is the illest I have ever been. But I won't complain - if that fact remains, then I'll be happy.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    Rolled up his trousers and it was all puffed up round his ankles. Took him to the doctor - turned out to be kidney failure. Doctor said had he had a beer he'd have probably died.

How's he getting on now?
  • rick_chasey
    Rolled up his trousers and it was all puffed up round his ankles. Took him to the doctor - turned out to be kidney failure. Doctor said had he had a beer he'd have probably died.

How's he getting on now?

Yeah fine. Like he was never ill. No side effects or anything.
  • clarkey cat
    lucky bastard - similar thing happened to me. I spent 3 years on dialysis!
  • Glad other people are admitting to it. It is the most painful thing ever. Haven't had an attack for years though (medication). If I have to say something it's "metabolic arthritis". I've probably drunk less than a bottle of port in my whole life.

Not Funny.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Sorry but this made me laugh :lol:
    Reminds me when I took a friend to hospital. We were on our way to the pub, when he started complaining his legs really hurt.

Rolled up his trousers and it was all puffed up round his ankles. Took him to the doctor - turned out to be kidney failure. Doctor said had he had a beer he'd have probably died. :shock:
    Did his kidney just decide one day it wasn't going to work anymore :shock:
  • clarkey cat
    Did his kidneys just decide one day they weren't going to work anymore

FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    He'd been somewhere exotic and had got blood poisoning. That went away eventually so he figured he was fine.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Paulie W wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Sign me up!

My bout started six weeks after my youngest son arrived. Pretty awful two months that was.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Did his kidneys just decide one day they weren't going to work anymore

FTFY
    I thought it was so rare for both kidneys to fail at the same time it was a given it was only one.

And yes, I'm probably going to die due to my own stupidity should something like that ever happen to me.
  • Paulie W wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Sign me up!

My bout started six weeks after my youngest son arrived. Pretty awful two months that was.

You guys need to get some wellies
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

It is absolutely brutal isnt it NSB. Did you cry? I'm not afraid to admit I cried. Actual pain cry like when you are a kid.

Unfortunately due to a pre-existing condition I get it quite alot. Booze doesnt help but it comes on every month or so. Generally only lasts a few days.

Oh man, you have my sympathies. It really is the most pain I've ever been in. What do you use during an attack, Indometacin? Mind if I ask what the pre-existing condition is? Theres no clear cause with mine...
  • clarkey cat
    I just MTFU. To be honest I can sense it coming on and then just eat green veg and drink loads of water so it doesnt tend to get too bad anymore.

The pre-existing condition is, embaressing I know, but my manhood is too large and so it sometimes diverts 'good blood' away from my extremeties - causing issues like gout in my feet and pins and needles in my hands.
  • vermin
    I'm sorry, but you actually had me feeling sorry for you for a while, but that's just blown it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    vermin wrote:
    I'm sorry, but you actually had me feeling sorry for you for a while, but that's just blown it.

Dude if you want to blow his manhood, you're on the wrong forum.

Might I suggest bottom (fnar) bracket?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter