Why do my legs go like jello?

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Tried to do a 100k cycle on Sunday Afternoon, after cycling 12 miles in the morning and after 45miles my legs turned to jello and was struggling to average over 10mph for the remaining 17 miles. At the end of the day I finished the 100k but due to the last 17 miles took a lot longer than expected.

By mile 45 I had drunk about litre of torg energy drink and had a 100g flapjack around mile 27, am I doing something wrong or am I just rubbish.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    How many times have you ridden that distance? Does 100k mean 100km or do you mean 100 miles?
    More problems but still living....
  • NITR8s
    I mean 100km, ive done 100 miles once, 69 miles once, 62 miles once and 57 miles once. So not loads of times.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Poor pacing, poor hydration, poor nutrition, fatigue.

One, or a combination of the above.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    danowat wrote:
    Poor pacing, poor hydration, poor nutrition, fatigue.

One, or a combination of the above.

This.

Everybody is different, but 'little and often' seems to work for many; some people eat as frequently as every half hour, and one 750ml bottle per hour. It sounds to me like you at least didn't eat enough.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    No where near being scientific but I tend to have a drink - electrolite or just diluted juice - every 5 miles and a gel every 10 miles. As I tend to average only 15/17 mph then to take the appropriate number of bottles suggested by Simon wouldn't be practible. I can usually get 50/60 miles from one average sized - 500ml - bottle.

But certainly agree with him about little and often and don't wait till you feel you need to eat or drink it's probably too late then.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Night before have a good high carb meal (pasta). In the morning have something like bread and jam at least an hour before you ride. Have something like a banana once an hour on the ride, or a few handfuls of peanuts.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • NITR8s
    I tried drinking little often but ended up going through a litre by the 45 Mile mark and had no food or drink left at this point. Did I mention the first 30 miles are really hilly.

Im guessing I needed to take more liquids with me, plus some more food, maybe another flapjack etc. I am doing the ride again this weekend so will make sure I take more fuel with me.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The "we're all different" is spot on but if I'm out on a long one I'll make sure that I'm well hydrated and loaded from the previous day. One the day - Small breakfast and then I'll have a small piece of flapjack roughly ever 12/15 miles, fluid little and often but nothing sugary.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    NITR8s wrote:
    I tried drinking little often but ended up going through a litre by the 45 Mile mark and had no food or drink left at this point. Did I mention the first 30 miles are really hilly.

Im guessing I needed to take more liquids with me, plus some more food, maybe another flapjack etc. I am doing the ride again this weekend so will make sure I take more fuel with me.

You do.

I'll still preface anything I state with 'we're all different' as I'm not a sport scientist, but a litre is not a lot of water. Unless you're going really slowly, I'm going to assume that you'll be getting through plenty of fluid, and that's before factoring in warm weather (when it actually happens). Ultimately, there isn't anybody who doesn't require water and sugars. Watch pro races, and observe the number of times that the riders take bottle refills from the team cars. Even if you've got two on your frame and one in your rear pocket, that's a fair amount of water. It's pretty common practice for road cyclists doing long rides to have two behind the saddle, triathlon style.

But I also agree that you need to be prepared the day before. From what I've read, pro-level athletes may use electrolyte drinks around the clock to maintain optimum hydration, along with overnight recovery drinks and so on. It does matter.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I tend to find I don't need to eat on most rides, just drink.

I will eat on a 70+ mile ride, but most shorter I will just eat before and after.

I tend to just drink squash sometimes with a pinch of salt which seems to stop cramp. I drink about 1 Litre per 30 miles depending on how hot it is. I did start using a camelbak on long rides, but recently I've just been filling my bottle at a shop instead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    plowmar wrote:
    No where near being scientific but I tend to have a drink - electrolite or just diluted juice - every 5 miles and a gel every 10 miles. As I tend to average only 15/17 mph then to take the appropriate number of bottles suggested by Simon wouldn't be practible. I can usually get 50/60 miles from one average sized - 500ml - bottle.

But certainly agree with him about little and often and don't wait till you feel you need to eat or drink it's probably too late then.

Really? :shock:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    We are all different and can have differing needs depending on the ride. On a recent 100 mile ride I got through four 750ml water bottles, 3 gels, a banana and a protein bar, but often on a 50 I'll barely touch the fluids. I always take enough just in case, if I don't need it no harm done. But I'd sooner take too much than be struggling through no nutrition.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    jelly legs - sounds like you bonked. But I wouldn't bother with gels on solo/club rides, get some bars, bananas proper food etc. Make sure you are properly hydrated as well, one litre in 45 mils isn't that much, depends on the weather and speed you were going at.
  • NITR8s
    It was about 23 to 25 degrees and at 45miles my speedometer was measuring an average of 14.7mph at which point proberbly included about 1500 to 2000 feet of climbing.

I noticed yesterday that when I went out in the morning (only 14 miles) I drank about 300ml of the Torq energy drink in the first 5 mins. So when I cycled home (another 14 miles) I had about 750ml of an extremely diluted version about an hour before starting and didnt touch the drink for the whole 14 miles. I have also tried cycling in an easier gear, with a higher cadence and think this may help. I lose about 1 to 2 mph on the flat, so 19/20mph reduced to 17/18mph but I am guessing over a long distance this extra engery saved will be worth two fold near the end of the ride.

I have ordered a second bottle cage and water bottle and when I do the 100k this weekend I will take 3 bottles with me(two on the bike and one in the back pocket). I will also drink about 500ml before I go out. I have bought some salted peanuts and will try using them as a protein/salt boost.
  • benhben
    benhben Posts: 71
    12 miles in the morning followed by 100k in the afternoon is a fair chunk of riding, especially if your a newbee.

I play sports regularly, go to the gym regularly, play football 3 times a week and fit in cycling where I can. I would imagine my legs would still be sore and jelly like after that amount of cycling in one day.

Pushing yourself through the pain is part and parcel of sports and cycling. If your not feeling any tiredness your not pushing yourself hard enough.