Car Shampoo to wash down bike ?

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondered if you can use car shampoo instead of muc-off to wash down your bike ?

As i already have car shampoo, i dont want to be spending unnecessary money on products which i already have in the household. Thinking of mixing shampoo into a spray bottle when using a de-greaser for the chain.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As it has waxes in it it is not good near brakes.

I would not use it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If it has waxes in it, perhaps. But the cheap stuff is nearly as good as muc off, without any of the corrosion issues with muc off and without the wax.

And definitely don't use washing up liquid - it has a very high salt content to 'soften' the water. And corrode your bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's fine. Wash it off.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    And definitely don't use washing up liquid - it has a very high salt content to 'soften' the water. And corrode your bike.
    Urban Myth?
    If left to dry maybe but hosed off the "salt" content is no problem as it's diluted many,many times.Used it on both cars/bikes and motor bikes and never noticed any corrosion 8)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Water and a brush. Does the job and there's plenty in the tap. Then do all the detailing with proper stuff.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    nicklouse wrote:
    As it has waxes in it it is not good near brakes.

simple answer - don't wash brakes?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I use Zip Wax, it's never made the slightly bit of difference to the brakes on any bike, far more effective and cheaper than Muc Off.

WUL does contain salt, but as said, just wash it off. I use Fairy on my transmission and Zip Wax on the painted bits. Muc Off is too watery to be a good shampoo and not strong enough to be a degreaser IMO!
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    Over the years I've tried most of the usual 'bike wash' suspects like Muc-Off, Sh*t shifter, washing up liquid etc etc., but keep coming back to car shampoo. I've found that if you use a really cheap brand, and don't put loads of it in the water, you'll get enough soapiness to clean the bike, without ruining your brakes (I always avoid sponging it all over rotors tho).

If you do want to make sure your disc rotors are grease and wax free, I've found a cheap way to clean 'em is to mix up a 50:50 solution of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA):Water - spray on and wipe dry with a clean cloth or kitchen towel. You can get IPA online from lab suppliers, and I've found 1 litre lasts ages. If you know you've got grease or brake fluid on the rotors, you can use the IPA neat for super cleaning effect.

I make my 50:50 up and pour it into a plant spray bottle - works out way cheaper than branded brake cleaners and is usful for other stuff around the house.

Phew, I'm all top-tipped out now! ;)

HTH
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I bought a gallon on Fenwicks 2 years ago for abt £35. Got 2/3 of it left.

I use neat as a degreaser and 10:1 with water (approx) to wash.
    I rinse very well after.

I apply GT85 via a rag to frame etc and (via careful spraying) to drivetrain, wiping away excess. I mask the brakes with another rag to prevent overspray.

I then apply lube to the chain, run through the gears then wipe of excess.

Job done.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    I apply GT85 via a rag to frame etc and (via careful spraying) to drivetrain, wiping away excess. I mask the brakes with another rag to prevent overspray.

Can, worms, open...

FWIW I'm with you. GT85 is excellent for keeping screw heads and misc metal bits rust free.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Same here. Is very effective, just gets a bad rep as people use it for purposes it is not suitable for and spray it everywhere.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I use either hand soap, car shampoo or washing up liquid depending whats to hand - never noticed that it either rusts my frame, waxes my discs or any other kind of negative effect.

I use wd40 or gt85 on my drivetrain to drive off water from washing, then lube up for action after (ahem). Use wd or gt on the frame sometimes too - apply to cloth first.

More often than not though I just dont wash my bike!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.