Chamois Creme - what is it's purpose and where do you use it

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi - as per the subject, what is chamois creme used for and where do you apply it exactly?
I know it's a proper newbie question.
Dub
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    oh i do love it on a couple of buns....:)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    it reduces friction, chafing and the chance of developing saddle sores

apply generously to the bits of you that are in contact with the saddle, i.e. around the sit ones and the bits in-between, you can also put some on the pad itself

on shorter rides it's not needed, but on longer ones it does make a difference, especially if it's really hot or if you're going to get drenched

i like the assos one, but there are many others on the market
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    What Sungod said.

It hearkens back to when cycling shorts would have a real leather chamois in, which - being leather - would have to be nourished. You can still use chamois creme on your synthetic pad - in fact Assos recommend that you do - but primarily it is designed to prevent chafing in the saddle area.

I don't use it currently, but I probably will invest at some point. I currently use Sudocrem afterward if I have any trouble. Some people use Sudocrem or vaseline as cheap chamois creme substitutes, but apparently they can stain your shorts; hence I have declined to do so myself.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Thanks guys. I was wondering about the rubbing it on the pad. Surely the pad just soaks it all up. I am training for a marathon and most of the runners I know use bodyglide to prevent chaffing. I wonder if Assos type stuff might be nicer.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve used that bodyglide before but prefer friction zone as it comes in a tube so is easier to get it exactly where you want it, the bodyglide is a bit awkward to get round the undercarriage
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    Dubcat wrote:
    Thanks guys. I was wondering about the rubbing it on the pad. Surely the pad just soaks it all up. I am training for a marathon and most of the runners I know use bodyglide to prevent chaffing. I wonder if Assos type stuff might be nicer.

apply to skin is first step, as you get it in the right places

you apply generously, some is absorbed by the skin, the surplus will go into the pad

but if it's a long ride, after a few hot or wet hours the cream gets dissipated, so applying some extra on the pad itself extends the comfy time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    dugliss wrote:
    prefer friction zone as it comes in a tube so is easier to get it exactly where you want it

:shock:

And I thought chamois creme was for chamois. :roll: