Photography and cycling

Hoopdriver
Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Some of you may know that I write a cycling blog called My Bicycle and I - and by way of introduction for those who don't I am a magazine writer and photographer who happens to love cycling and bicycles, and in order to give myself an outlet for cycling inspired writings and photographs I started this blog some months ago. Now, I have been shooting photos for many years - travel stuff mainly, but journalistic stuff as well when I was with Time Magazine - but it wasn't until I began shooting for the blog that I realized how tricky it can be tying to get decent shots of yourself on a bicycle. Over the past few months I have shot many thousands of frames using self timers, remote shutter releases and learned a fair few tricks on how to compose a shot when you're not yet in it - stuff that I really wish I had known when I was doing a lot of touring on my own. And so I am starting a series of posts about travel photography and cycling, and how to take on-the-road photos of yourself when you're traveling on your own - or in a group, for that matter, when you want everybody in the shot and up and moving.

The first post - today's, on cameras - is here:

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/phot ... -the-road/

I hope you'll find it useful.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Haven't read it but certainly will. Much appreciated
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You may just have decided my next camera for me!

(still using an old Olympus e-10 and want a good digital to replace it and preferred a compact)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Hoopdriver
    One I haven't mentioned in my post - because it is new and I've not tried it yet (although I am buying one next month) is the Canon G1X. It is very pricey for a compact, but has a sensor six times bigger than the G11 and with 14MP and extremely good noise control, said to be virtually nose free all the way to ISO1600 and useable at 3200, it sounds just about ideal.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    How about the just announced EOS M? I'm thinking of replacing my 2008 EOS 450 with one of these, as I'll then still be able to use all my Canon lenses.
  • Hoopdriver
    How about the just announced EOS M? I'm thinking of replacing my 2008 EOS 450 with one of these, as I'll then still be able to use all my Canon lenses.
    I've been looking at that one - it sounds really interesting, but as yet I've not had an opportunity to get close to one, let alone have a play. I have some contacts though and I expect to know more in a couple of weeks.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I've been looking at that one - it sounds really interesting, but as yet I've not had an opportunity to get close to one, let alone have a play. I have some contacts though and I expect to know more in a couple of weeks.

If you do get a play, will you post up your thoughts? It's not on sale until Oct but does look interesting, especially for amateur dabblers like me!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:

If you do get a play, will you post up your thoughts? It's not on sale until Oct but does look interesting, especially for amateur dabblers like me!
    Even if I don't get a play myself I know a couple of people who most certainly have been tinkering with them at Canon's behest and at the very least I will glean their impressions and put up a post.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I use a Panasonic GF-1 and it is a great mixture of compactness and quality, for me.

They can be had for fairly cheap money now it has been superseded by two models, and use can also use it with old legacy lenses via adapters.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807