TDF 2012 Rider statistics

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
Interesting summary here http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/2012/7/23/tour-de-france-2012-wrap-up-by-trainingpeaks.html?utm_source=tp&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=athletejuly2012-2

of some rider's performances from the TDF.

Some sample power bests if you fancy comparing yourself to the pros

Janez Brajkovic 1 hour 350W 5.90W/kg 3 hour 295W 4.98W/kg
Bernhard Eisel 1 hour 380W 4.73W/kg 3 hour 329W 4.09W/kg
Chris Anker Sorensen 1 hour 355W 5.51W/kg 3 hour 303W 4.70 W/kg
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Haha, one would hope if there are riders on here that can compare, then they would indeed by pro themselves!

Also, those 1 hour power's will be from the middle of a stage won't they? Or is it TT effort?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Lol no .. If i read it right, that just the business end of the hardest stage of the tour .. o_O
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't think Brajkovic weighs 59kg. If he did and with those numbers he should have had a better tour than he had. Googling suggests he's more like 65kg.

Still mightily impressive numbers, especially coming from the middle of a hard stage race.
    More problems but still living....
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    The figures are power bests i.e. the top figures recorded during the 3 weeks of the tour.

Most everyone should be capable of producing 5W/kg, the problem is keeping it up for an hour. Still you can have some fun seeing how long you could stay with a top pro on a climb, anything approaching 5 mins is good compared to average but also illustrative of the gulf between us and them.

Google isn't really going to be the best source for a riders weight especially mid tour. Brajkovic was under 60kg, see this ride for example.
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/tour-de-france/2012/stage-11.aspx#.UBeTuqBRCt0

He did finish 9th so not bad. His stats will be interesting as a point of reference for the future. They give a fairly clear indication of what it takes to get a top 10 finish in what was probably the cleanest tour in the last quarter century. Significant upwards variance from them should be a cause for some comment.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    He may well have been 60kg, but the Training Peaks analyses always try to big up the performances so I'd not be at all surprised if they knocked a few kg off to make them look even more impressive.
    More problems but still living....