Age is no barrier

2»

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As someone who in a few weeks will be 62 and has been MTBing for the past 27 years I can only see one difference on the negative side, I can no longer cross a ditch on an 8 inch log.

The rest is positive, I recon I climb hills better, especially if they are long, how, well in those intervening years I've improved my diet, trained properly and have a better knowledge of how to get the best out of me.

In my teens old bikes of any kind were used to ride the same trails I ride today, once used an old trade bike, nice fat tyres.

Once on the bike I'm still a kid and luckily I still bounce quite well when I hit the deck.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    This thread has made me feel much better!! I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and have only been mtbing for just under 4 years. I feel like I've taken massive strides since my first 'proper' outing when my boss dragged me up to Cwmcarn and nearly made it the shortest lived hobby in history on that climb! I can now get round there pretty competently (with maybe one breather) and have seen similar improvements on my local trails in the Mendips.

My biggest single regret is that I didn't take it up years ago but seems like I can hopefully look forward to a few more years yet, if I can steer clear of injuries! On that subject, I did my calf muscle running last week quite badly (or so it felt) and even though there's no way I could run on it yet I'm back in the saddle with no discomfort at all now so still have some powers of recovery despite the advanced age. :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    handful wrote:
    I did my calf muscle running last week quite badly (or so it felt) and even though there's no way I could run on it yet I'm back in the saddle with no discomfort at all now so still have some powers of recovery despite the advanced age. :lol:

I know that feeling - keep injuring myslef when running, can't seem to get past 8 miles without pulling a muscle that keeps me off running for weeks, but still manage to ride within days.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I was on an uplift at Cwmcarn with a bloke who was very proud of his 67 years of age IIRC.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Here's a vid about Werner who is 65, :shock:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/258967/
    Don't think, BE:
  • There's a guy at Chicksands who is, iirc, 65, and has "Old Guy" on the back of his jersey, and races 4X. There's also regularly kids aged 6 hitting up the 4X track!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • erinmills
    erinmills Posts: 12
    Pedal on. 6 or 96.