Speed difference of cyclocross v road bike

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm strava-ing pretty quick of a Sunday morning but doing it on a cyclocross bike (to which I've added road wheels and 23c tyres).

Since I've not actually ridden a 'proper' road bike(and don't know much about stiffness, geometry and all that business) , my question is, am I likely to get any appreciable difference in speed by switching to a road bike (assuming the components are roughly the same level and fork/frame materials are the same)?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My crosser is heavier, and the gearing isn't as big, so slower over a route uninterrupted by lights and zebras, and generally not as fast over the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Generally a road bike will feel lighter and more responsive, but over a distance of say 10 miles, you'd be talking about a difference in seconds rather than minutes.
  • mb5
    mb5 Posts: 19
    what about up hills?
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I ride broad and cross bikes regularly. The difference for general riding is minimal; its the tyres that will have the biggest influence. If you are running 23mm tyres on your cross bike then I suspect you'll barely notice the difference, although the rolling resistance of the wheels may come into play. I think that if I used my cross bike on a 90 mile sportive I'd probably notice the difference more, but for day to day riding not so. However, I don't think my road bike would fly down the towpaths and trials as fast as my cross!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I ride broad and cross bikes regularly. The difference for general riding is minimal; its the tyres that will have the biggest influence. If you are running 23mm tyres on your cross bike then I suspect you'll barely notice the difference, although the rolling resistance of the wheels may come into play. I think that if I used my cross bike on a 90 mile sportive I'd probably notice the difference more, but for day to day riding not so. However, I don't think my road bike would fly down the towpaths and trials as fast as my cross!

Bigger tyres often have lower rolling resistance particularly at higher rider weights.... All to do with tyre drop and pressure, to get correct tyre drop and therefore rolling resistance on 23 I need to inflate to 150psi+ (I'm 18 stone) which you cannot do, 28s around come in around 110 to 120 which is possible and are therefore quicker. Of course 23s are lighter than 28s which is why they are viewed to be quicker, but if you can't pump them up enough......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Not as much difference as you'd think - I've done a TT on a 'cross bike fitted with 23c slicks in the past and fared OK. There will be subtle differences in the handling due to issues such as fork rake, wheelbase and C of G but not much. Also at high speeds, if sticking to lowish CX-type gearing you might - unlikely though - end up "spinning out" as you have no higher gear to switch to.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I added about a minute or 2 when I started doing my commute on the CX rather than the Ribble Carbon Sportive I used before. That was over 15 miles.

For commuting, it's negligible really.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    bails87 wrote:
    I added about a minute or 2 when I started doing my commute on the CX rather than the Ribble Carbon Sportive I used before. That was over 15 miles.

+1 The only thing I would add though (at least the way I ride, which is pretty much full blast) - the effort it would take to get those two minutes back on the CX would be massive. So the gap is small but closing it would be very hard.

ETA - Focus Cayo road bike (£700 s/h) vs Boardman CX (£800 with discounts)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH