Base layers

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Should I be wearing a base layer in summer under a jersey ? Who does, who doesn't ? Would it be a good idea to wear a sleeveless one in the summer and using a sleeved one when the weather start to get a bit chilly ?

Thanks..

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I wear a compression base layer unless its pretty hot, in which case Ive a super thin one (needless to say this gets used pretty rarely his year!). Find i stay cooler with a base layer and you're more comfortable downhill.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,526
    given the current state of our seasons it's more a question of the weather than the time of year

if you're finding it a bit too cool, wear a base layer, or a gilet which you can unzip/remove if it warms up

cooler still, base layer, add a gilet

even cooler, add arm warmers, time for knee warmers too

getting colder, long-sleeve jersey, maybe plus base layer and/or gilet, plus leg warmers

cold, jacket with zero or more extra layers, and tights, overshoes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I usually just wander outside and see what the weathers up to and decide from there what to wear. If it's looking changeable i have the saddle bag which i could use to put an extra layer in if necessary more often than not i'll keep a gilet in my jersey pocket in the summer and have arm warmers in the saddle bag.
    As far as base layers go i use merino wool although that is more for the winter months, a gilet would take the edge off of a cool breeze in the summer.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • s1mon
    s1mon Posts: 618
    Right so I've been looking at loads of base layers and just found these http://prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=22&ID=368 are they any good ?

Don't mind buying a few at that price !
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Aldi/Lidl often do them and I find them fine around £8 each. They do long sleeve and vest types. Often labelled as Motorcylce or Snow board etc but all do the same job.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    I normally just use Nike or Adidas compression tops. Picked up a few when JJB had a sale on. Think they were about £8 to £10 each.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****