How important is weight on a gravity bike?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Morning all. My Voltage FR20 is a FR/mini-DH bike and although I've not weighed it it's probably not far short of 40lbs. This weight makes it a steamroller through rubble, roots, craters etc it simply blasts through completely unfazed but it doesn't fly too well, lands heavily, is a handful in tighter stuff and hard work on pedally sections.

The dc Domain forks weigh about 7.5lbs and there's probably 9lbs of wheels and tyres so there's savings to be made in these areas.

My question is, would the bike be faster downhill if I made it lighter or would it be slower because it would be less stable?

The steamroller feel gives me a lot of confidence but by the same token if I have to back off for any reason it's hard work to get it back up to speed again.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lighter is faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Under 40lb is pretty light for a DH bike. My Scalp weighs 43lb and my mates Demo weighs 41lb (although Specialized claim 38lb).
    Weight does make a difference. An old Giant Glory is hard work to ride because it weighs close to 50lb, compared to that my scalp easy easy to throw around.
    The geometry of your Voltage would be what is making it feel like hard work through the twisty stuff.
    You could save some weight by fitting Boxxers & lighter wheels, something like Mavic EX721.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    The frequently mentioned 'rolling weight makes the biggest noticable difference' comes in here. Wheels are a good place to upgrade to loose weight (if potentially pricey). If you have money limits, buy the wheels first and forks at a later time.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am running an all mountain tyre on my rear wheel of my Big Hit and it works fine and almost makes the bike pedal-able (I did a short xc run on it the other night as my xc bike is out of action). I'd consider one for the front if the Clutch SX on there at the moment wasnt so damn good!

I guess the amount of effort that goes into weight saving in the world cup circuit suggests that lighter is definitely important.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.