Can anyone help with Hotmail on my phone?

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I continue to have issues with Hotmail sync-ing with my phone. Gmail is absolutely fine. I used to have a Nokia X6 which was generally a rubbish phone and Hotmail was constantly failing to sync with it and eventually I just gave up with it. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is supposed to be a good phone and I'm still having problems.

Basically my phone and the Hotmail inbox cannot seem to communicate. If I read something on my phone, it doesn't transfer to my inbox, so I end up with thousands of unread emails which I have to go in and "mark as read" once or twice a week. Now this has taken another twist, when the phone syncs with Hotmail it re-marks all the messages I have read in my phone as unread... So I keep ending up with what appears to be another block of new messages but in actual fact they are messages I have already read...

A friend of mine re-set up Hotmail on my phone through something or other exchange but that doesn't seem to have sorted it.

How do I get it to mark messages in my actual Hotmail inbox as read once I have read them on my phone as Gmail does? I am assuming there must be some option in the Hotmail account itself?

I phoned Orange but they were about as much help as a chocolate teapot... The woman didn't have a clue - she tried to tell me this is normal...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I just access it via email - far easier to read and no synching issues. I'm a luddite though, bound to be a better way...
  • Headhuunter
    BigMat wrote:
    I just access it via email - far easier to read and no synching issues. I'm a luddite though, bound to be a better way...

What do you mean you access it through email? Is this some other access point on the phone or are you just saying you don't get email to your phone?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    I don't bother pushing them to my phone (galaxy s2), I just read them on hotmail on the phone browser. I suspect that's what BigMat does. No notification you have an email though, you have to go check (takes less than 10 seconds).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Headhuunter
    pangolin wrote:
    I don't bother pushing them to my phone (galaxy s2), I just read them on hotmail on the phone browser. I suspect that's what BigMat does. No notification you have an email though, you have to go check (takes less than 10 seconds).

Oh I see... But I find it really convenient to have them pushed to the phone with all my email addys in 1 inbox
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Step by Step here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win ... otmail-eas

URL or Server: m.hotmail.com
    Username: Your full email address, e.g., thurrott@live.com
    Domain: Leave blank
    SSL: Enabled
    Certificate: Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
    Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks: All of these can be enabled (if supported by your device)

you'll be using IMAP which doesn't support push email (which is what you are after)

This works faultlessly on my Android piece of marvellousness.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I ended up setting Hotmail to forward all messages to one of my Gmail accounts.
  • Headhuunter
    Step by Step here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win ... otmail-eas

URL or Server: m.hotmail.com
    Username: Your full email address, e.g., thurrott@live.com
    Domain: Leave blank
    SSL: Enabled
    Certificate: Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
    Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks: All of these can be enabled (if supported by your device)

you'll be using IMAP which doesn't support push email (which is what you are after)

This works faultlessly on my Android piece of marvellousness.

THanks... All those seem to be as described on my phone already, although the options are slightly different... The certificate option is very different though, do you think that would make a difference?
  • Kieran_Burns
    You just need to accept certs but the main thing is ensure that your frequency is set to Push Mail.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Headhuunter
    You just need to accept certs but the main thing is ensure that your frequency is set to Push Mail.

OK it was set to every 5 mins, now set to push... You think that will sort it?
  • Kieran_Burns

Worked for me 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Use the official android hotmail app. Lets you see your folders and anything you delete gets deleted from the server as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wsMSwyLDNd
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Headhuunter

Worked for me 8)

Hmph, didn't work for me... Last night got my usual delivery of emails that I had already read...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Should've got an iPhone... :lol:
  • Headhuunter

Would've done but I can't quite bring myself to pay the ridiculous premium for the phone, contract etc etc... Are they really THAT good in comparison to a Galaxy S2 or S3? And everyone I know with an iPhone 4 or 4s seems to have managed to smash the screen - they seem to be very fragile!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

... and a different email address. Pretty sure that would fix the problem completely. :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Would've done but I can't quite bring myself to pay the ridiculous premium for the phone, contract etc etc... Are they really THAT good in comparison to a Galaxy S2 or S3? And everyone I know with an iPhone 4 or 4s seems to have managed to smash the screen - they seem to be very fragile!

All I know is that they are easy to use and hold their resale value very well. As for contracts, I just use 3 who have a rolling monthly option, so you're never tied in to some crazy multi-year year deal, and you get unlimited data.

I've owned every iteration and never smashed a screen. It's not that hard to look after nice things...

FWIW the missus uses hotmail on her iPhone and it works perfectly, although I'm weaning her off hotmail and onto the iCloud option.
  • Headhuunter

All I know is that they are easy to use and hold their resale value very well. As for contracts, I just use 3 who have a rolling monthly option, so you're never tied in to some crazy multi-year year deal, and you get unlimited data.

I've owned every iteration and never smashed a screen. It's not that hard to look after nice things...

FWIW the missus uses hotmail on her iPhone and it works perfectly, although I'm weaning her off hotmail and onto the iCloud option.

Well it increasingly sounds like the Hotmail issue is down to me, no one else seems to know about it! Certainly iPhones hold their value well... I looked into buying a phone and going with Giff Gaff but it worked out more expensive for me. At the time I costed it up, giff gaff with unlimited minutes, web and texts would have cost about £25 per month over 2 years, whereas Orange with 750 web, unltd text and 200 mins (which is all I need) is about £20....