Would this work as a commuter?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
I have a couple of mountain bikes and am about to start a new job which is located a flat 9 miles away.

I have decided to commute on a bike for the first time ever, but don't really want to use the MTB's so have been looking for something else.

A colleague has advertised a Dawes tourer on our intranet for £200 ono (pictured below). Sizing seems about right. Only info I have is that it's a Dawes Galaxy touring bike in Reynolds 653 (which means nothing to me!).

She thinks that it's about 5 years old (it's her late father's). I don't want to mess her about and ask her to bring it in if it's likely to be unsuitable.

So, question is, would it be ok for an 18-mile daily commute and is £200 a reasonable price? Thanks for any help.

7636771590_c294a52f38.jpg
P1040244 by Furzil, on Flickr

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If it fits you it will be perfect for your planned use. I would like one myself at that price!
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Touring bike's are about the best all round bikes and make great commuters. Dawes are the most renowned touring bike manufacturer.

If that bike is good condition - i.e no dents or rust, then £200 is a ridiculously good price. Good condition Galaxies tend to sell near £500 on ebay.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've used a 20 year old equivalent for much of my winter commuting for a few years now. It's fine. It looks in nice condition and £200 seems a really good price. I'd have it for that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Are you 6 foot 4, cos that is a big frame. Otherwise ideal.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    basically its a perfect commuter.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, do it. Looks like a good deal so bite her hand off.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    £200 is a bargain for a 5 year old Galaxy but, as has been mentioned, that's a big frame suitable for a tall rider.

I've a 20 year old Galaxy that I use in winter and still love it. The frames are good quality and in the 20 years it's been in a few accidents and had only the odd bit of rust, now treating the frame with ACF 50 to keep rust away altogether.
  • Initialised
    Take it anyway, if it's too big sell it on and get something more suitable.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    It's a Reynolds 853 frame, looks to be the 60cm Galaxy model. If you're 6 foot or over it will be fine. £200 seems very reasonable - I'd give it a good once over and then bite her hand off at that price (I'd also lose a few spacers!).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Its not an 853; its a "basic" Galaxy, prob 631 tubes, nevertheless v good value, RRP new £1200
  • monkeycowboy
    monkeycowboy Posts: 186
    Take it anyway, if it's too big sell it on and get something more suitable.

This ^ If not, I'll have it for £200!
  • Initialised
    Oi. First dibs
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    alfablue wrote:
    Its not an 853; its a "basic" Galaxy, prob 631 tubes, nevertheless v good value, RRP new £1200

My mistake, it's def Reynolds 631. I can see the yellow border around the decal.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    A good bike but I hope you are tall. That head tube suggests something like a 24" frame
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    +1 to all the other comments, really - 200 notes sounds like an absolute bargain for a Galaxy and such a bike is tailor-made for commuting. If the sizing's good, go for it!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • swelsbyuk
    I have been to see the bike and it is slightly too big for me (I'm a tad under 6 foot). However, for the price I have decided to buy the bike and hope that losing a couple of spacers and buying a shorter stem will make it feel better.

Could someone be kind enough to recommend the best place to buy a new, shorter stem?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    SJScycles in Bridgewater are good for all touring bike stuff. They would know the bar and steerer diameters.
  • Perfect commuter at a stupidly good price. That does look like a long stem though so getting a shorter one would be a good move. Enjoy!
  • Just to reinforce what others have said. An excellent choice of commuter and great price.

SJS are very knowledgeable. I'd also recommend Spa Cycles for advice and parts for anything to do with touring bikes. Ring them rather than email though as they are a bit 'old school'. :wink:

Enjoy your new bike.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • swelsbyuk
    Realise this is some time after the fact but, unfortunately, the bike did prove to be too large. I have, therefore, had to list it on a famous auction site if any of you are still interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Galaxy- ... 3a7f39d118