Gravity enduro HELP!!

SebSmith
SebSmith Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Could someone please tell me what gravity enduro is and whats the rules? cheers seb

Comments

• This should give you some sort of idea:

http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/

Rob
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Think of it as a bit like a rally- instead of doing laps like in most XC races, you have special stages which are timed, and you ride between those untimed but still under the clock. Focus tends to be on descending and technical skills but some of them like to throw in horrible climbs to shake you up.

You just need to be a bit careful with enduros, because the UK has a bit of a history of using the term for endurance racing. Wrongly, to be blunt, but it's too late to fix easily now. So you've got your gorrick enduros and the like, which are a totally different kettle of fish to the gravity enduro series or an innerleithen mtb racing enduro.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Why is calling a normal "Enduro" event an "enduro" wrong in any way?
  • Northwind
    For the same reason it'd be wrong to call it a downhill race, or a powerboat race.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    For the same reason it'd be wrong to call it a downhill race, or a powerboat race.
    Don't be stupid.
    Why is "Enduro" not a suitable term for an endurance event?
  • Northwind
    That's charming, that is.

Enduro might have been suitable for an endurance event (although obviously "endurance" would be more suitable) if it weren't already being used for other types of event. It's like starting a new type of running event and calling it a marathon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Right, so you're saying that the downhill kind of enduro were around first?
    Gotcha. I hadn't realised that.
    I thought they'd used the name enduro, because motorcycle endurance events had been called "enduro" for what seems like all of eternity.
  • Northwind
    I think that's probably where they took the name from in the first place tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sounds like they put the wrong name on the event to begin with, then, since what you're describing sounds more like a rally, or a raid event, not an enduro.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Been reading about this a bit this morning - I hadn't realised that a motorcycle enduro wasn't a race as such, it seems more like what car rallies used to be about aeons ago - try to cover a set distance in as close to "par" time as possible?
    Strange.
    I've definitely seen Eurosport coverage of "enduro" on motocross bikes which was more in fitting with the traditional (wrong?!?) British use in mountain bike enduro - in fact, take away the mountain bikes, give them motoX bikes, and it was the same thing.
    All of which means I'm now more confused than ever.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    The critical thing to remember is to never call it Gravduro, because if you do you are a complete wanker.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    EH_Rob wrote:
    The critical thing to remember is to never call it Gravduro, because if you do you are a complete wanker.
    actual LOL
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    actual LOL
    +Potato :lol:
    What annoys me though, is that I was happy in my little Matrix-world where everything made sense, and Enduro was a perfectly sensible name for the thing I've known for years to be "Enduro".
    Then North "Morpheus" Wind comes in and spoils it all.
    Dammit, I want back IN to the matrix.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    actual LOL
    +Potato :lol:
    What annoys me though, is that I was happy in my little Matrix-world where everything made sense, and Enduro was a perfectly sensible name for the thing I've known for years to be "Enduro".
    Then North "Morpheus" Wind comes in and spoils it all.
    Dammit, I want back IN to the matrix.
    should of taken the other colour pill!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I just necked all the pills - now I'm fu**ed, and I can see noises.
  • VWsurfbum
    Loud Noises [/anchorman]
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Don't do that, you'll deafen his eyes.

Right, how I'd always thought it works with motorbikes, is that the official definition of an enduro is a time-keeping event, while a rally is just an overall timed event. So I guess that'd make xc enduro most like a mc rally, even though earlier on I described "gravity" enduro as being like a rally, because I meant like a car rally not an mc rally

Where once there was confusion, I bring confusion.

But, where you can get a bit more certainty is that for pushirons, the original and most established use of it is for gravity-style enduro, and that's also the UCI interpretation of it. Now fair play, the UCI's only real job is to make road bikes heavier than they need to be and to forgive drugs cheats but it's still relevant.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I used to race Enduros, on motorcycles in the early 80's. They were just bloody long motocross races doing one or a few laps of a long course instead of 20 minutes lapping a short track.
    Some were spread over a few days like a rally, Paris Dakar style.

So that's an Enduro, and if you disagree you are wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    See, CD's motorcycle enduros sound just like the mtb enduros I've always known, and taken part in.
  • Northwind
    cooldad wrote:
    So that's an Enduro, and if you disagree you are wrong.

If you're riding a motorbike. But you'll get the OP disqualified with advice like that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Steroids, engine, what's the difference? Just don't tell anyone.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools