Chain Device

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning all

After twisting my chain at Cannock last weekend, i want to beef up the chain retention on the bike

Currently have a Superstar XCR, which works fine most of the time, but when things start to get rough it struggles to keep the chain on.

So i want something more complete

Options

Superstar Plasma

DMR Viral

MRP G2 Mini

Im thinking that the first two are pretty much the same thing i.e. Nanos vs Nukeproof. They certainly look very similar from the pics.

Dont really want to spend £100 if i can help it

Anyone used the above ? any other recommendations ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Used the superstar plasma for around a year with no problems, then bought a frame with iscg05 tabs instead of old iscg so had to buy another chain device. Ended up getting a da bomb recoil, basically the same as the plasma and the dmr again, and no complaints yet.

if price is an issue, i think the da bomb is the cheapest of the three.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Can depend on fitment type as to whether it will work, ie. do you have to have a bb mount adaptor or has your frame got iscg tabs and sometimes crank type comes into it.

What frame we talking of?
  • DCR00
    it would have to be BB mount - its an FSR XC frame so no tabs

Im running SLX cranks
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    E-13 LG1 trail would be my choice, I prefer the normal LG1 because it has the taco, but if you don't need the chainring protection the trail is the perfect guide, well impressed with my LG1, been faultless so far, and as far as guides go, I'd say getting a more expensive one is a worthwhile investment
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Not had any issues with my superstar plasma now it's full top guide (previously had bashguard version which was crap). Half the price of the E-13 too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I thought the superstars were meant to be mega noisy? Also at nearly 200g, its a hefty piece of kit, the LG1 is pretty much half that, at around 110g. Can be had for less than £90 too.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If I'm perfectly honest I don't notice any noise from it when I'm riding. Obviously it makes noise but it's not loud enough for me to really notice it, having said that I generally use that bike for DH so I'm not really concentrating on the noise the bike is making and am wearing a FF :lol:

It's a decent enough chainguide, and if the OP is on a budget it's a sensible option. If not then the LG1 would be a nicer bit of kit. Also E-13 is closer to 120g but I'm just being picky, a fair bit lighter than the superstar still.
  • DCR00
    ive caved and bought an E13 SRS off Fleabay for £55
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Prob for the best, if the frame is 68mm the plasma wouldn't have worked anyway.