Going to 1x9

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, have pretty much convinced myself that Im going to change my set up on my spare bike to 1x9 (currently 27 speed) as when I use it (and my other bike) I pretty much dont shift out of the middle chainring. Questions are I assume I can just take the other two chain rings off of the crankset?, and two I have an internal BB so what chainguides should I be looking out for? last question could I do this myself or is it best left to the experts.

bike is a 2009 Giant Yukon FX2 which has been heavily upgraded, also as its a fairly heavy 'stock' bike I figured losing the 2 rings, shifter, and front mech would save a bit of weight as welll

Thanks

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes you can just take the rings off but you will need shorter chain ring bolts.

I run a simple Superstar top guide (seat tube mounted) and it's cheap and does the job.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Cogsy1976
    Cheers, where abouts did you get the shorter bolts? did you do yours yourself? was it easy?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shorter (single ring) bolts off ebay or try most the big online outles (CRC/Wiggle/Merlin).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mine came from Chain Reaction. Yes I did it myself, yes it was very easy.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Cogsy1976
    Cheers for your help guys
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why not get them from your LBS? It's quicker and you're helping to support them.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5