So, who got arrested tonight?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    I read that, not surprised tbh. They claimed that they had a restriction to keep south of the river. Is this true?

I doubt the police acted entirely legally but they had an outcome they wanted to achieve so probably minor technicalities like the law go out of the window in these cases.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Joel Benjamin in that article says: "...but Critical Mass is really a celebration of cycling..."

More and more often, I get the impression that Critical Mass is nothing to do with celebrating cycling.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Professional complainers. What were they protesting about this time...

I get tired of people continually using cycling as a means of complaining. (I add camera crusaders in this group as well).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Professional complainers. What were they protesting about this time...

I get tired of people continually using cycling as a means of complaining. (I add camera crusaders in this group as well).

I just saw a flying pig and news reports tell us that hell has just frozen over.

I agree with DDD! :shock:

:)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    "The regular Critical Mass is a pro-cycling event'

Yeah, Wiggo just won it, didn't he?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Would it be reasonable to assume that CM was being deliberately provocative?
    ... Before this evening's ride, the Critical Mass website put a call out to cyclists who were prepared to be "peacefully assertive" in the face of expected police resistance to them following their planned route. ...
    ... "I didn't see any arrests, but my friend, a solicitor was arrested. ...

Anyone seen Spen?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Critical Mass is about politics not cycling - trouble is it reflects on cyclists in general. This one of the (rare) occasions when I agree with DDD
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Bunch of Commie, lentil-eating Dolies! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409

so you are redneck,meateating banker-- not a term of abuse just a description
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

so you are redneck,meateating banker-- a term of abuse not a description

FTFY
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hope the wankers got a few whacks as well.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Why is it that for all of my hobbies and interests, I wish the self-proclaimed protest groups representing the issues of people doing that activity would FOAD?

Critical Mass, various photography groups, Brake (I like cars too).

Look - I just want to ride my bike, OK? I'd like cars to give me more room and respect occasionally, I'd like secure cycle parking (in cages, preferably) to be made a compulsory part of all major new development and I'd like it if cycle lanes on main roads were at least as well surfaced as the road, wide enough to actually ride in, not full of broken glass and preferably not on the pavement.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Having been along to a few of them, I'd say most of the Critical Mass cyclists are just people who live in London and like to ride bikes. The broad political leaning of the group (as opposed to that of the individual cyclists) is definitely more anti-establishment rather than pro-cycling, though.

Its a shame that its most often mistaken in the media for the latter. Mainly because that makes their message confused and actively irritates anyone who also likes riding bikes but doesn't share their political opinions.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Joel Benjamin in that article says: "...but Critical Mass is really a celebration of cycling..."

More and more often, I get the impression that Critical Mass is nothing to do with celebrating cycling.

idiots - if you go looking for a confrontation, you will find one - especially around the olympic venues... and if you see the video you may pick up on the bit where it seems one 'cyclist' has a tent peg - like why? in central london?
    I wish they would all bracket 'cyclists' in with this mob, and so relived it is in the commuting not road section - says it all, although I suspect the less vocal majority of commuters even would want to distance themselves from these 'oiks'

we get narked when the trade unions seek to manipulate the worlds attention on london to screw more money out of the taxpayer, yet these nutters with bikes do just as bad a job of focussing on broken britain instead of using the olympics to broadcast what could be good about the place.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    sorry double post
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    So many reactionary puppets on here , just waiting for Punch to complete the show
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    So many reactionary puppets on here , just waiting for Punch to complete the show

Oh no, he won't
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    punch.jpg
    Are we done now?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.