Strava causing Relationship issues...

twist83
twist83 Posts: 761
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I feel I need to air this :lol:

Sunday morning myself and the other half decided to do a jaunt down to the Seaside. We took our usual route which is a 40 mile loop. On this loop there is a rather large climb (Winyards Gap - Drlex will know this one!!)

Anyway the other half has been QOM on this climb for some time. There are not many females that are on this segment but it was her QOM none the less. She discovered Sunday A.M that this had been taken from her and it was my job to help her claim it back. She noises she made when she discovered this horrible loss were on a par with losing the winning lottery ticket.

So we get to this hill and there is a fair old headwind so I tell her I will help drag her up the 'Col de Winyard' so off we set. I am mashing the pedals like a madman and she is sat behind me, she is not great at pacing herself so I keep picking the speed up (as best I could) she keeps shouting faster which I am trying to do.

We eventually reach the top and there is a good 1/2 mile flat stretch to the end of the segment. By this point I am obliterated so tell her she will have to overtake and go for it, which she does. She misses out on QOM by about 5 seconds and then procedes to get angry with me because I should have gone faster and could have give her a better lead out on the flat.....

I was gobsmacked and thought she was joking but no she didnt talk to me for the last 6 miles so I decided to assert my male Authoratahhhhh and blast off arriving at Destination a good 4 minutes before and make it look like I wasnt even trying when I was about to burst.

So a lesson here to all the people who think it would be nice for their Doris to be into cycling. It would be if not for Strava!!! Also N+1 becomes N+1 X 2

Someone has been watching too much TDF me thinks....

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Would this qualify as having a domestique argument?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • twist83
    I think it would! I told her she should pay me more :)

Next thing you know I will be carrying about 10 bottles down my cycling top.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680

Quality. :lol:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I had been strava-ing so hard that I fell asleep in the middle of living room floor face down for four hours the other day after getting in from work.

Wife didn't even notice.
  • twist83
    haha Strava does cause a lot of suffering. I have introduced it to our Landlord/Neighbour and he comes back a complete wreck after work. Same for lots of people.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228

Brilliant! :D
    FCN 3 / 4
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not strava related, but my wife chucked her MTB down a cliff once....She got upset that she could not keep up with me on an off road track in Cornwall; result was her getting off and physically throwing the bike down the cliff...luckily, it was retrievable and still rideable.

Try the same route again at exactly the same time next month......just to be sure.
  • twist83
    haha that trumps mine hands down. Throwing a bike down the cliff. She would never do that to her MTB she loves it more than me....
  • Dan_JR
    Dan_JR Posts: 36

Buy this man a beer!

Whenever I ride with my wife we rarely arrive home on speaking terms.
    I think cycling is just one of those activities....

D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

:lol::lol:
    KB, I salute you. Cycling punnery of the highest order, have a medal.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Yep, while the story was amusing that is top class punnery.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm so proud. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • twist83
    I have to agree it was good. This can now officially be your thread. This should be entered into a cycle dictionary.

A domestique Argument - The act of arguing whilst enjoying a bike ride with a member of the opposite (Or same!!) sex with which you are having a more than a plutonic relationship.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    twist83 wrote:
    [...]with which you are having a more than a plutonic relationship.

Use of which + Pluto = you calling my wife a dog?

Your main mistake was to put the hammer down after, therefore confirming that you were deliberately flagging at the final stage - bad Twisty! No cookie!
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    :)

This thread could only really get better by you revealing that you are, in fact, the QoM in question, having set up a rogue account under a female pseudonym to either beat Mrs Twist or encourage her to improve her segment times.

Good luck revealing that to her!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • twist83
    DrLex wrote:
    twist83 wrote:
    [...]with which you are having a more than a plutonic relationship.

Use of which + Pluto = you calling my wife a dog?

Your main mistake was to put the hammer down after, therefore confirming that you were deliberately flagging at the final stage - bad Twisty! No cookie!

I really need to check my spelling and grammar more often... :lol:

I have never seen her so cannot comment.

By that time I had recovered and due to my epic power output I am able to turn a much bigger cog on the flats than her. I was shafted by the time I got there but obviously did not want to show her this. I then did worry she maybe had been squashed by a car....
  • twist83
    :)

This thread could only really get better by you revealing that you are, in fact, the QoM in question, having set up a rogue account under a female pseudonym to either beat Mrs Twist or encourage her to improve her segment times.

Good luck revealing that to her!

I value my man hood. If she sees this I am dead..... :lol:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have gone as far as installing it but haven't used it yet. I fear it might be lethal!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.