Cycling Cap - what benefits?

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Can someone explain what the benefits are of a cycling cap? Is it to reduce sun in your eyes? Does it keep your head warmer in winter?

Is there something else I'm missing?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I wear one to keep the rain off my glasses.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Keeps the chill off in cooler weather ...

Covers up my helmet head in the cafe afterwards ...

Looks a bit nattier than a helmet when I take my bike to work and just cycling in normal clothes ... Just don't wear a gaudy team one ...
  • I wear mine primarily to keep the sweat from running into my eyes. It provides peace of mind when insects get into helmet vents too.

And to avoid 'helmet hair' in the cafe post-ride, obviously... 8)
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I wear mine primarily to keep the sweat from running into my eyes.

I used to only wear it in rain / colder days, but have taken to wearing it in the summer when doing long slow climbs for this reason - to stop the constant stream of sweat running into my eyes.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    All above reasons, primarily for me, the flap is handy to keep rain off glasses, also it helps a bit to stop the helmet getting pongy by absorbing some of the sweat....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    just wear a headband - sorts the sweat issue out, but leaves your head free to breathe - important when the temperature goes about 35 DEG C
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I wear a cap instead of a helmet, apparently it offers the same protection plus it keeps the sweat and sun out of my eyes.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Most of the above, really.

I never ride without my Walz. Keeps, sun, sweat and rain at bay, as well as looking the business (or so the wife doesn't say :lol:). It also - being bright yellow - hopefully makes me more visible. I may get myself a wool cap for winter this year, but I got by just fine last year.

Definitely recommended. You can get a basic cheapo one from Wiggle (etc), or a slightly more expensive Walz; being handmade you can choose the colour, material, three or four panel design, and add embroidery as well. I'm glad I spent the money, personally.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...All of the above plus keeps the sun off my baldy bonce (on the rare occasions we get sun..)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A cap is also more effective as keeping cr@p off your face than a helmet-mounted visor IME.
    It's also a great eye shield if you have to deal with motorists who drive towards you with full-beam at night.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233
    also can extend your ride when it blows off as a HGV passes on a fast descent, meaning you have to slog back up the hill to retrieve it. :cry: